SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Why are my dahlias' flowers smaller than previous years?

highlandernorth
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I am growing large dahlia plants. About half the varieties I am growing this year are from tubers from last year. I've been growing most for several years. I also bought 6 new varieties that I'm growing for the first time.

I planted my older varieties in late April. We had an unusual May, in that it was hotter than normal(80's often), and a month long drought set in late April through May. I planted 4 new varieties on May 20, and the last 2 tubers went into the ground June 8th. Then once June hit, the rains started. We had significant thunderstorms at least 1-3 days a week, with inches of rain in a single storm.

The ground was so wet in June that I had to raise the tubers higher into the mounds and add more dirt to raise the height of the mounds because several of the tubers were below ground level and in danger of rotting. I added more sand mixed into the soil as well.
I added 10-10-10 fertilizer early on in May. I mixed in some pelletized limestone into the top 1-2 inches of soil in early June. I added some 2-7-4 organic tomato fertilizer mixed into top 1" of soil in early July.

For the past 2 weeks the first dahlia plants started blooming. These are the first plants planted, and the same varieties I've grown before. What's obvious is that the flowers from 3 varieties(Citron de Cap, Fuzzy Wuzzy, Camano Pet) are all significantly smaller than ever before. Usually the first flowers are fairly large, but all of them have been small so far. I do not disbud, but I didn't do it before either, and the flowers were still larger. Also some have had washed out colors and Camano Pet is even missing the peach color that is usually seen with the yellow. Now they are all just lemon yellow.

The actual plants look normal though. There is no sign of unhealthiness with the plants. Its just the flowers. I am awaiting the other 6-7 varieties to bloom, and hopefully they will be better sized. I also hope the current bloomers grow out of their small flower funk.

Any ideas?

Comments (3)