SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceh2101

Why do people in this forum grow dahlias?

ceh2101
13 years ago

Hello all.

I have been reading this forum on and off now for a year and have come to wonder why people who post here grow dahlias. Is it for show? To look good in the garden? To produce giant flowers? To produce cut flowers?

Personally, I do not understand what one is supposed to do with a 14 inch flower and purposely grow my flowers to be smaller than that. Yet some people really seem to enjoy this and even assume that it the purpose of dahlia growing.

There also seems to be a vast cultural distance between the Dutch hybridizers who produce lines like Karma, Melody and Allegro, and the dahlia culture in the Northwest, which seems to be centered around producing flowers for show. I really like the Dutch approach, and also think it may leave American growers who are focused on the comparatively small market for show dahlias out of a much bigger market for dahlias as garden plants. Just see what a good job White Flower Farm has done in sorting through all the available cultivars and choosing ones that will look good in a garden.

I grow my dahlias for:

- color in the perennial garden from late June to early November

- cut flowers

I like most dahlias but tend to shy away from ones that have been overly bred for show, and think that some of these flowers look like overgrown sunflowers on corn stalks. I think that I am in a minority in this group. I also think that some of the older dahlias have more deeply saturated color and look more elegant in bouquets due to the color and their thinner stems.

Comments? It would be really interesting if people said what they really thought . . . without upsetting anyone.

Comments (25)