SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Are the first dahlia flowers smaller and less proportionate?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

My 2nd dahlia is finally fully opening today, as my 1st very early planted dahlia opened a month ago.

My 1st dahlia ended up being mislabeled, and looked nothing like it did on the box. It was supposed to be Rembrandt, and its colors pink and yellow, but its really dark red/burgundy with no yellow. I bought it and 2 others from a local store. But its first 2 flowers were like 3", then everything after has been about 1.5" - 2", and ugly!

But my 2nd one bought from Swan Island opened almost fully today, and it's obviously the right color, and I suppose its the right dahlia(Mcallister's Pride), but its petals are mostly flat, even though its supposed to be a semi cactus variety, and it is barely 3" when its supposed to be 5". Its also not very proportionate, as some outer petals stick out further than others.

They are ALL growing in great soil, with mostly organic ingredients and cow manure, etc., and the PH is between 6.5 - 6.9, and they get watered as needed, usually every 1-2 days when hot and not raining, as the soil is quickly dried out. They get about 8 hours of mid day and afternoon sun. I planted them in holes dug 10" wide x 10-12" deep, as I saw recommended, with the original clay soil thrown out.

So, should the flowers improve with time? Whats your experience?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living