SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildhyacinth

ID and Advice for my first echeveria?

wildhyacinth
8 years ago

Hi, all! I bought an echeveria at a greenhouse a few weeks ago. It's really pretty and was unlabeled as to species. I think it might be a Perle von Nurnberg, but when I look at image results on Google, most of them look a much more vivid purple than what I have. If anyone could tell me what it is, I'd really appreciate it:

Now, to the advice. Within a few weeks of bringing her home, she lost two leaves right at the bottom of the plant. They looked kind of small and shriveled, partially brown. The rest of the plant looks fine to me, although I guess I might not know what to look for. Do the shriveled leaves mean not enough water? Not enough light? I only water it when it's dry, and I'm keeping it within a foot of a west-facing window, so it gets indirect light during the day and some direct late afternoon light.

It's in a 4" plastic grower's pot and I was thinking of repotting it into a 6" terra cotta, although, there are no roots sticking out of the drainage holes and no other obvious signs that it's rootbound, so maybe I should leave it as-is and repot next year? I bought a cacti and succulent potting mix just in case (and also for an aloe I'm thinking of repotting), but from cruising the forums it seems like a lot of people make their own mixes. What should I add to it? Or is it fine as-is?

Such a pretty plant. I really hope I don't kill it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (3)