SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

My First Succulent Terrarium - Need Advise and ID Please

bernardyjh
9 years ago

Hey guys, I live in Brooklyn, NY.

This winter has been a really long one. In just about a month ago, the weather was getting slightly better, and I bought these guys from a farmer's market.

Need some help ID-ing them. Been reading actively around this forum, and I know terrariums (open/closed) aren't ideal potting canvas, but decided to give this a go, and my plants are actually looking rather healthy now. (will post current pics later) The base is filled with rocks and pebbles, followed by some fir bark chunks, layered under some sphagnum moss - then the gritty mix.

Not sure which direction my window is facing, but we get alot of sunlight (when there's sun). It's always really dry in my apartment, so I mist them twice daily for the first few weeks, but now I kind of mist them once every few days, whenever it feels dry by touching the soil) I also learnt to not make a habit to mist the leaves so as to avoid any rotting, so I mostly try to aim the base surrounding of the plant and mist till I see the top layer moist.

When re-potting, found these young pups growing on the side, so I had them potted separately, and I hope they will grow better.

I tried getting the ingredients for the gritty mix, but I settled for a bonsai mix with 75%-inorganic (turface/pea gravel/Stalite Expanded Slate)/25% Pine bark mulch. I figured, it will cost me more to travel and accumulate all the ingredients and getting a pre-mixed one online and I also live in a small apartment with not much storage space.

I screened them diligently with both a insect screen, and hardware mesh. This is the result.

Comments (48)