SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ris_poster

Sprinkler issues cut line cant find heads.

Ris Poster
8 years ago

So my new home has a in-ground sprinkler system, it was installed about 30 years ago and hasn't been used for 12-15 years. There are 4 zones I did some digging on the side of the house where the lines exit the house from the water feed in the basement. All 4 lines are cut, (prior owner had trees cut down, lines where a casualty) theses are the black plastic polyethylene lines. I found the line for one side of my front yard and I reconnected it, walla the 2 sprinkler heads popped up and worked.

2/3 other lines have water, zone 2 constantly has water flow when it's off, I am sure this is due to the valve not closing and can fix that when Im ready. the zone w/o water flow is probably the solenoid since when the zone goes on there is no electric current. These are issues I can fix late or hire someone for.

My issue is the 2 lines I dug up go to the backyard, (one of them is the line w/ no water.) need to be reconnected. I don't want to just start digging up grass. I can't find the sprinkler heads and I don't have a diagram. I have a general idea where the closest one to the cut line is, but its under the grass as its been a dozen years since use. Since these are really old heads I am thinking a metal detector will find them? My plan is to find the head pull it off snake metal through line use the detector to trace line find the end reconnect. I don't have a metal detector so I will need to rent or buy one.

Does any one have any ideas other than this how to find the sprinkler heads or the lines coming from the heads? If i can find the heads I also figure i could flood the pipe and look the puddle. All this is dependent on finding the heads. The one that works in the front i couldn't see the heads until they started working.

Comments (2)