SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thecollegekid

Herbaceous Borders

thecollegekid
8 years ago

I am about to close on a house in Norman and am looking forward to finally having a large yard with a great amount of sun to play in. And like most gardeners who don't have a place to vent their gardening needs I find myself on youtube watching garden shows (usually BBC) and wondering what I will turn my backyard into. I have gotten into bees and chickens recently with a friend of mine and know I will definitely have a small coop and one or two beehives in my backyard but what I am wanting to do with the garden is ever changing. What I am leaning towards is something called a herbaceous border due to their beauty within the summer. I grew up in a slightly cooler climate, zone 5 and 6 and am still getting used to the hot summers here, although the excess rain this year has been amazing and most peoples lawns and gardens are still green to my amazement. That being said, I would love to have a blooming border along an 80' fence. I have attached the video of what I am looking to achieve (I also plan to have some sort of kitchen garden and even possibly a micro CSA which I will get into later) and I was looking for some inspiration from people who have lived here much longer than me in the form of pictures and names of plants I should include. I am looking for the majority to be perennials and I will fill in the holes with annual I plan to start in a greenhouse.

I am starting with a blank slate of a backyard with only grass which i will remove with a sod cutter. I will amend the soil with the free compost norman has to offer and mulch it with their mulch as well. I also have an irrigation system that I plan to tap into and water this bed sufficiently. Thank you in advance for all your advice and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Herbaceous Border and Kitchen Gardens

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting