SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lullafly

Need evaluation on my gritty mix

Bree
8 years ago

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Al's gritty mix (1:1:1) and I was hoping I could call upon others' experiences and expertise to help me do things correctly from the start.

Here's what I have:

- Manna Pro poultry grit, screened/rinsed over 1/16" fiberglass insect screen

- Turface MVP, screened/rinsed over 1/16" fiberglass insect screen

- Repti-Bark, currently unscreened

I'm thinking my bark is too large: it ranges 1/8" to 1/2", favoring the larger side. I'm trying to decide if I want to screen it and accept I may lose 30-50% of the bag, or continue the dreaded quest for bark fines.

But... Does my Turface MVP have too many small particles? I already mixed half a (18 gal) tub of the grit and Turface together, but I'm wondering if I need to screen it again to get rid of the smallest Turface particles. Should I screen it again, and what size screen should I use this time?

I read (after I had already screened) to use an aluminum or metal screen instead of fiberglass, because metal is better at actually screening. Is this true? I only rinsed when screening because it was so easy to set up a bucket, screen, and spray hose, but maybe screening dry would have been more successful.

Notes: This mix will be used for indoor plants and succulents. I eventually want to get a fiddle leaf fig for this mix, too. I am in zone 5b.

Comments (8)