SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunkfree_4a_canada

My first gritty mix, and it's a beautiful thing

Baby steps, baby steps ... Tiny batch but oh my, it is really pretty

Put one of my haworthia limifolia pups into a tiny batch of gritty mix as a tester; to get the feel for water retention. I await word on availability of pumice and/or the correct size cherry stone grit. I bought two new strainers after making this mix so I can tweak sizes going forward.

I used:

1/3 Forest Bark (fir bark, a Hagen product from Petland) screened out the larger chunks over 3/8". I broke up longer pieces and might bust this up more in the future. Soaked it overnight first.

1/3 aquarium gravel (I wanted the gold mix and they only had acrylic coated kind). Again, screened out chunks over 3/8". Will screen further next time and will continue to try to source alternates - this stuff is pretty pricy :(

And 1/3 Qualisorb (DE oil absorbent from Canadian Tire), screened out fines with kitchen strainer. New strainer will allow me to get out even more small particles if I need. The pic below shows some wet Q that I strained with new strainer *after* I made the mix - the pic with plant above has both sizes.

I went for a gold-bronze colour scheme LOL and I really like it.

The Q loses its colour as it dries, so I imagine I should be able to gauge more easily when the mix needs water. The Haw has quite a few nice little root buds going, it'll be very interesting to see how it does!

Comments (8)