SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arialvetica

Working around a layout that I know you all will curse...

arialvetica
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I came to the kitchen forum for help many years ago. I build the floor plan you all advised against and...I loved it. We are going to build a new house this year, and I want to use the same basic layout. I reserve the right to cave in and change the design to something more GW-approved, but first, would you all be willing to offer some solid kitchen advice that works within this floorplan as-is?

* I like the pantry/fridge close to the mudroom because I'm lazy and hate carrying groceries a single step more than necessary. I'm not sure if that beverage center is necessary for my lifestyle, but I knew putting it in there close to the dining table would avoid a general panic about The Day I Forgot My Beverage For Dinner And Had To Get Up. Whatever happens, the thing I need closest to the dining table is silverware. That's the thing I'm always forgetting. I should just have my dining chair be made out of forks.

* If you must comment on the path from living to mudroom cutting through the Sacred Work Triangle, maybe describe a scenario where this will be an actual problem. Points will be awarded for dramatic storytelling. (beyond mudroom = front door + garage entry)

* I have small children (4 and 1). Open to a few more kids.

* Dining table expands to seat 8 comfortably (10 in a pinch). It's usually just the four of us, but approx 2x/month we'll have another family join us for a casual dinner.

* We eat our meals at the dining table -- I mostly just use the island seating for my small 2x/month moms+kids coffee parties -- would love to get one more stool at the counter.

* I am a frequent microwave user (see earlier comment about kids!) I'm constantly reheating the tea that I forgot about while changing a diaper, the lunch my son forgot about while complaining about how hungry he is, the dinner that got cold while my husband forgot to come home at the designated hour

* I am also a frequent dishwasher user. Apparently there are people out there who don't use their dishwasher that often? I'm not one of those weirdos. ;)

Comments (40)