SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyjoyjoy_gw

YAY! I think I finally have a layout that works!! Pic heavy

joyjoyjoy
13 years ago

I think I have it all worked out, but please let me know if anything needs to be adjusted. I've done all the math and measuring, and the stove and dishwasher will open fine - the ikea drawing just doesnt look right.

I recently saw sandyponder's stove posted on the "Show me your hood thread" and decided to fiddle with my stove in the corner.. I just love the look of this and it has made everything else come together better!

Moving the stove to the corner, helps me pull that peninsula back into the kitchen and line it up with the chimney.. this will help us from crowding the dining room too much.

So the peninsula will be my primary prep space.. the 24" farm sink is my prep sink. Just yesterday we were canning beans and I was imagining next year, having the peninsula work space with a big sink nearby.. perfect! I'll probably put the microwave under the counter here.

Then the stove in the corner and wrapping around to a smaller cleanup area. I will have a 15x19 minimum sized undermount sink in an 18" cabinet here plus a dishwasher. My current sink has 2 13x15.5 bowls with extremely rounded corners so I am gaining quite a big of sink space here too.

The drawing shows 25" in front of the pantry - there will be a 6" wide pullout for brooms, and 2 15" pullouts for food. These will be accessible from the side and can pull out fully without hitting the other cabinet. 25" is minimum as when we redo the walls, I will likely gain 2-3 inches.

This is the only plan I have been able to come up with that gives us the peninsula seating AND puts the fridge in a place where both doors can open fully. I am also gaining tons of storage space with that tall pantry. All of the food storage is right by the back door where we bring in groceries.

I measured my current storage, and the pantry/ fridge wall plus one 36" set of drawers is the same amount of storage I have now in my entire kitchen! Everything else will be bonus!

I will be going with IKEA cabinets and will have custom shaker doors made. Right now I am planning for any base cabinets on the U to be some shade of white or yellow. The doors/ sides facing the dining room, and the wall pantry will match my woodwork and the doors will look as close to my current built-ins as possible. appliances are stainless & black. Countertop - Ikea butcherblock on the peninsula, dark brown countertops - Richlite or Paperstone hopefully! Backsplash - painted brick.

I am trying to decide where to "mix it up" a little bit - or have I done that enough already? I'd love to paint the sink cabinet, for example, a different color. Any cabinets that end up on the wall or dining room side - will be made by my cabinet guy and will have inset doors. Any ideas?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (7)