SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
civ_iv_fan

i'm envious of all of you that actually work on your houses

civ_IV_fan
11 years ago

so, when we first started looking at old homes, i was really attracted to those that needed a lot of work. so what if there is a hole in the ceiling and some of the siding needs repaired and the window sills are rotted? i'll take care of that stuff in no time, i thought. my wife, on the other hand, felt that with our then 6-month old baby that we would be better off finding some place more move-in ready.

fortunately, we found a house we both loved. all the original details, but seemingly no items in need of immediate repair. this will work. nonetheless, after we moved in, i began a mental list of things to fix. rip out the dropped-ceiling in the dining room, redo the upstairs bathroom, change the floor in the kitchen, refurbish the windows, strip the two-layers of peeling wallpaper from the downstairs hallway.

a couple of YEARS after moving in i finally got around to working on the downstairs hallway...i stripped the wallpaper in pretty short order and prepped the plaster for repair.....and now i've been looking at the same hole in the plaster for four months. the wood lath exposed by the hole stares at me, mockingly. "you think you're gonna repair me?!? ha! we both know that will just wake up the little one when you try to cut out the loose plaster to make the repair. and the dust! do you know how loud a vacuum cleaner is?! and the mess i'll make...do you really want your hallway out of use for a week while your coats of mud are drying? ahahahahahahah. good luck fixing me! see you tomorrow...and the next day!"

Comments (7)