SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmalehman

Pruning Pear Tree

Emma Lehman
8 years ago

Hi All,

First of a number of pruning questions... I know that our trees aren't perfect, but after not pruning at all during dormant season last/this winter, we are having to make some major adjustments to tree structure now. I know we should have done this a couple of weeks ago, and I know the trees have not been trained perfectly so far, but I would value some input into a few decisions I haven't yet made....

To head or not to head the central leader on this tree? It is tall and spindly, so I am considering heading it above the highest scaffold branches. Current height is between 7 and 8 feet.

You can see I am debating leaving a middle level of (currently small) scaffolds... The break between the top level and the bottom level of scaffolds is much more than 24", so I was considering attempting to grow a third level in the middle. What do you think? Cut it out or leave it in to see if it grows?

And, bottom small scaffolds? I think I should cut all this off... As a guide, the small scaffold level near the white protectors is at knee height. Unless anyone thinks this might end up growing into a nice fourth set of scaffolds (yes, I know they are supposed to be the longest on the tree currently, but I am wondering if they might grow and thrive), I am planning on pruning it off.

Lastly, you can see some leaves growing directly off of the trunk between the top scaffolds and next set of scaffolds. What do you all do with the leaves on the trunk? I have been pinching them off, but then stopped so I could ask. I assume if left these will turn into branches (or spurs maybe?) but I assume that it is undesirable to have growth directly on the tree.

Thanks! Next posting coming in a minute :)

Comment