Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Looking for Sofa Recommendations

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Project: DH's downstairs study

Colors: Greens, mustard, browns

Room Description: 13' x 25' with an ell at one end 7' x 4', 10 ft ceiling, 10" crown molding painted white, walls painted BM Albescience, carpeted with Karastan French Check in green, built in bookshelves at the end of the room with the ell.

DH's home office is a wreck! And i mean that literally. He never got it sorted after the flood from frozen pipes ruined it the night before we were to start remodeling the other finished space downstairs. He emphatically did not want his office to be part of the downstairs remodel (which i think he now regrets) and he has wholeheartedly refused to even let me in to help him organize it. The molding and half the ceiling and carpet were all replaced, and the bookcases fixed. Then he just moved his stuff back in in boxes, pulling out stuff as needed or buying again somethibg that was boxed and too much trouble to find. I periodically ask if i can get in there and do something with it and he has always refused.....until now. He has that fabulous check carpet and built-ins, and an adjustable height table he uses as his desk (ugly as sin, but adjusts electronically according to how his back feels.). The thing is, i have a limited time in which to perform this miracle. I am trying to amass everything i need quickly, as when it is all here im calling in people to basically remove everything in there that isnt nailed down. He is only interested in function, so i am sticking with catalog /off the rack / quick ship kind of stuff for this project....no expensive designer fees for this room!

So far i have purchased the Austin bookcase from Pottery Barn, which is manly looking, very sturdy and deep enough to hold his THREE laser printers and video editing stuff (dont ask). He has his hideous desk, so we still need a sofa, cocktail table and end table, uunbreakable lamp. And a 72" flatscreen for tennis videos (another dont ask).

I have already purchased artwork for this room (bought and stored, biding my time) that looks fabulous with the carpet: two large Audubon prints and one oil painting of a hunting dog:

I really love the framing on the prints, they came out beautifully although I am afraid the wood grain wont be too visible once they are on the walls.

This is his wool carpet:

I was planning on a medium brown leather sofa but dh now says leather, meh. He wants either one cushion or two on the sofa deck, not three. A single cushion usually means special order andi dont have time for that. Budget sofa should not exceed $3000, less is better, cannot be lIght colored because he is messy and takes illegal snacks down there :-) now i am thinking microfiber but dont know what color.

Have looked at this table for sofa, same line for one end table, they dont match shelving but are similar, im hoping that might make it all look office-y? Planked top, distressed, indestructible?

Would love a sofa recommendation, need medium size 83" or so, less would be good as long as inside dimension is at least 75".....and LOW arms.

thanks in advance, GWers!

Comments (38)