SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boyd99

Unknown "pest" and tiny holes in tomatoes

boyd99
8 years ago

I have one tomato plant, started from seeds of grocery store tomatoes on the vine. About halfway up the plant, I noticed a tiny hole in three tomatoes on one vine. They look like a Hummingbird could have made them. Fearing a fruit worm, I sprayed the plant three days ago with insecticide.

Since then, I discovered the culprit. Call me crazy, but the little brown things in my picture are some kind of bug. They stick their needle-like heads into something and typically die there, as if they are on a suicide mission. I also picked one out of my vinyl planter, to reveal a tiny hole there. Today, I found two hanging off the bottoms of tomatoes. That spray didn't work, unless rain 48 hours later washed it off.

These weird pests puzzled me 20 years ago, when I lived in a vinyl-clad cottage. Since I didn't have vegetables, they stuck their "heads" into the siding and stayed there, dead. There were many, many of them.

If anyone out there knows about my pest problem, please advise. Thank you so much!

Comment (1)