SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
per2011

My tomato plant pest solution, maybe it can help you too

per2011
11 years ago

I've been finding 1, sometimes 2 tiny black specks on the underside of my tomato plant leaves, mostly on the new growth and less so on the mature leaves. These specks were difficult to see, smaller than the size of a poppy seed; very easily overlooked. The leaf would turn brown where the specks were located and than shortly thereafter the leaf would yellow and die. I would even find them on unfurled leaves. Through the process of elimination I ruled out all the usual suspects (aphids, white fly, disease, etc.).

Long story short, my plants were being invaded by small egg laying green/black flies, also very difficult to see and quick to disperse whenever I went near the plants. I always thought that flies laid eggs on piles of trash or manure, certainly not on vegetation. Wrong.

My solution: I purchased a Rescue Fly Trap from Home Depot (+/- $5.00) and hung it alongside my plants. Problem solved in less than 1 day! This device is amazing and it does not harm green metallic sweat bees and other beneficial bugs. You can read the glowing reviews on Amazon if you have any questions or post here and maybe I can answer them. In case you're wondering, I do not have any financial interest in this product, I just want to pass along some hard learned knowledge to the GardenWeb community.

Comments (4)