SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mathteachr

Mid-way construction update

mathteachr
8 years ago

I thought I'd post a kitchen update for everyone who was so helpful generating ideas for our kitchen (whether in response to a post or just when I read through your other posts!).

So far we have:

- demo'd the kitchen, including tearing out ceramic floors and the underlayment the mortar was laid on (not a fun job!), and laid new underlayment in the kitchen and dining room.

- sold the cabinets, sink, old dishwasher and china cabinet on craigslist, which gave the budget a bit of a lift.

- I did the rough carpentry to build the toekick bases for the ikea cabinets and a half wall that will form a ledge ~6" above the counter on the cooktop wall. I built the toekicks ~2" taller than normal to raise the counters up, since we are taller.

- had the plumbers out to run plumbing for the main sink under the window and a prep/bar sink very close to where the old sink was. They were able to run all the plumbing in the toekick space, which made it very fast and cheap (they are doing the vents with something that doesn't require tying in to the old vent, sluter/schluter/sutter vents, I think).

- had the electrician out to rerun both outlet circuits, move the power for oven, dishwasher and disposer, and add power for under cabinet lights. He was able to extend all the existing power, and also run everything in the toekick and half wall areas, so this was pretty straightforward/quick, requiring no work at the circuit box.

- used self leveling underlayment to pour a level floor in the kitchen (it was about 1.5" out of level!).

- patched drywall and painted

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022