SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

So, Help Me Select Some New Trees

Due to a series of unfortunate events, we lost a huge Sugar Maple a few years ago. It was a beautiful tree and we loved it. But it was old, had structural issues and damage (perhaps a lightening strike, in addition to age and what appeared to be rotting areas) and had to come down. A very sad day.

I saved a small piece of the trunk that contained a heavy chain and hook for hitching up horses, so it had obviously been there a while.

Last year, 3 mature Norway Spruce were removed; 2 of them had died from several years of living in soggy ground (thanks largely to a botch job by the local water department). The third was removed because it was too close to the house with branches rubbing down on the roof, especially after snowstorms. We fixed the water problems and now it's just regular land, not boggy anymore.

Anyhow, I don't need to tell you that it looks absolutely naked out there now. We won't even discuss the weedfest that has cropped up since there is no more dense shade. Charming.

I have about an acre of land in total, so it's wide open out there. Size is not an issue. Actually, I prefer a big shade tree in the now-open area. Maybe even a couple of trees. The location has a southeastern exposure, so I would probably like something deciduous to provide shade in the summer and allow some light in during the dreary winter months.

I love the maples but they are dead common around here. You can't turn around without spotting 10 or more mature sugar maples within eyesight. Still love them, though. They're hardy, generally low maintenance, and gorgeous in the autumn. But I'm open to other ideas.

Also, on the due south side of the house, I will need another tree that is also deciduous but without a big footprint. There is maybe 20 feet between the house and the road and electrical wires. I don't want something that will be hacked to death by the power company, nor do I want it to eventually scrape the new roof and/or siding. But something to offer some summer shade and some visual interest. Dogwoods are ok, but would prefer something more interesting if such a thing exists. I would go with a larger tree if it didn't have invasive roots or try to take over the house.

Upstate NY, USDA Zone 5A, upper Hudson Valley area.

Soil is friable for the first foot or so, but basically clay after a couple of feet. pH runs on the slightly acidic side, usually 5.5 to 6.0 (it has been tested several times over the last 6-7 years). Most years the hydrangea are pink; other years they run blue-ish or purple.

Would love to hear your suggestions. Thank you!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting