SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Admins: Is it possible to close old threads for comments?

Bunny
8 years ago

Generally it's considered poor form to resurrect an old thread and start posting to it, cluttering up Page 1 and driving current threads needing answers/input into potential oblivion. I get that, and agree with it. I try to note the Posted By date on a thread I haven't seen before. Sometimes I forget or it just doesn't register as old. You know that feeling when you're reading something and you go, Oh, it's nice to see that MissingMember is back and then you realize you're reading an old thread.

So, is it possible, after either a prescribed amount of time elapses from the Original Post and/or the Last Comment, that a thread can be closed for comments? I encounter that all the time on other forums. You Google something, up comes a very interesting discussion and you think, oh, oh, I have something to contribute, and then you realize the discussion took place in 2005. Probably the original posters are dead and no longer care what I think. Just kidding, but I'm always grateful for the post closure.

If the topic of some old thread is that compelling, one could start a new one that's similar but in today's context and reference the old one which is still around to read, if one so desires.

It's possible this has been discussed at length previously, like in 2011. At least I didn't dredge it back up. :p

Comments (30)