SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Overhead cabinets above island or peninsula

mrspete
8 years ago

We all know the problem:

We've all seen a great little U-shaped kitchen, so nicely designed, such a joy to use ... and just across from the workspace, a little breakfast spot tucked in just right ... two areas that should be in harmony.

But smack-dab between them, preventing connection and conversation between the two spots, is an overhead cabinet suspended from the ceiling. This misplaced item means that the person sitting at the table can only see the kitchen worker's chest, and the kitchen worker is constantly bending down to look at the person at the table. You know, like this (Full Disclosure: I plucked this picture from the internet, and the people who posted it made those Xs):

Is it possible to have upper cabinets above an island or peninsula WITHOUT this too-low problem? Or, if you put the cabinets up high enough to allow conversation, are the cabinets too high to be useful? In other words, is it possible to have uppers THAT WORK?

If so, what details make them work?

Looking across the internet, I see a couple ideas:

What if you use glass fronts? I see the appeal of being able to open the glass fronts from both sides. You know: Dishes in from the left, out from the right. I note that these cabinets are higher off the countertop than the adjacent corner cabinet. I think the heavy molding at the top of this cabinet run helps pull off this look nicely.

Or what if you make the middle cabinet taller? Useful, or just stupid? Of all the pictures I found, I think I like this the least. I'm into clean, uncluttered spaces, and I think this kitchen has "too much" going on.

Can you place the cabinets high enough to avoid the problem? Or, if you do this, are the cabinets too high for realistic use? I kind of like this picture the best -- how high off the counter would you guess this is? My best guess: I'm guessing that the cabinets themselves are 36" high, and the space under them seems to be the same. I like the reeded glass in these cabinets.

Or are cabinets above an island or peninsula simply something to be avoided? I don't think I'm going to get them, but I do like considering ALL my options!

Again, if this type of cabinet CAN work, what DETAILS make it work?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Comments (31)