SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux

Executing a color scheme; what where?

MtnRdRedux
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

So, now that our guest house plan has been narrowed down to an open loft, and the intended uses and target audience has also changed, the color scheme is changing, too.

Before I was set on black and white, touches of green, and lots of sisal, rope, wicker details. Now we are taking it up a notch.

Every visitor's (man, woman and child) favorite part of our house is our bright turquoise fridge. So we are using turquoise. When googling, I can across this image, and I think it is my color scheme. I will call this color scheme "Turquoise, Driftwood(the floor color) and Lobster" (yes, I am going to use the R-word, since I fell in love with the way that First Aid kit looks there!).

Here is the color inspiration:

MY QUESTION; Of course the "Lobster" color will be an accent. And I think I want the walls to be white. If that is the case, would you make the ceiling Turquoise, and the floor Grey? Or the Ceiling Grey, and the floor Turquoise, or some other permutation.

BEFORE you answer, keep in mind:

1. This is essentially a great room/overflow space for the kids in a second home; it's ok to go a little wild

2. It will have a ton of light, with lots of windows and french doors.

3. It is large; the footprint is 22x34

4. The walls will be shiplap, the floor will be wood.

5 It will have high ceilings, open and wood panelled like in this photo:

So .... where would you use these colors if your scheme was Turquoise/Driftwood/Lobster?

Comments (80)

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

The artist would not have to wait until the shiplap was up to start. But, yes on the costing a lot.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

With regard to the mismatching:

Dead-on matches can be great, but I think it works best in formal rooms.

I think matching that is not highly customized formal matching is one of the things that people find off-putting about rooms and may be one of the things that people don't like about "dated" rooms from certain periods: some highly matched rooms look a little flat.

(I think current too-matched, but not monochromatically matched rooms look flat too, but lots of people don't notice when it's a room done in current fashion, but wait until it's not current)

With regards to the grey:

I think the grey has to be a very warm grey because a cool grey could start to get into a 1980s post-modernist color scheme and that would not be what you want here. I have nothing against Miami Vice and Patrick Nagel but you don't want to reiterate that color-wise, in Maine, I don't think)

• Related Discussions

Just scheming. What do you think of this scheme? (pics)

Q

Comments (20)
    Avesmor, sorry I have not gotten back to you on your questions. The rounds things on my wall are old stove pipe vents. They were found in walls and on floors for stove pipe to go through to prevent things from getting too hot from the stove pipe. The bedskirt came with the set. I have not been disappointed with this bed set. I love the colors. Can't wait to see what you do with yours. Kim
    ...See More

Where does Anderson Woodwrights fall in the scheme of what is bes

Q

Comments (5)
    I have walnut stained trim throughout my house, so a stainable finish would be preferred. We do however, have an off-white interior on our front door which is surrounded by the walnut trim. I don't know if it would be acceptable to go with an off-white interior on the windows as well. I know white just doesn't fly in our home; it would mean a complete re-do of the entire house and that just isn't going to happen. We went with warm colors on the exterior as well, so we have off-white on the exterior windows as well.
    ...See More

where to find someone to help me with paint color scheme?

Q

Comments (8)
    Be very careful. I hired a designer at 150 an hour. I put a cap on ten hours. I wanted her to help me with the (dreaded) backsplash, kitchen window treatment and kitchen chair cushions. Long story short, she gave a lovely presentation with the professional board display, but I didn't use any of it! Not even the fabric for curtains! If I would do it over, I would have asked around and possibly seen work of the designer. So say, if I liked what they did in your house, not that I would copy it, but maybe the vision would be similar. Have you seen the Color me Happy blog? Some people here have used her. She is in Vancouver but evidently can help you with photos and talking to you on the phone.
    ...See More

Exterior color scheme question; where does color belong?

Q

Comments (11)
    KSWL, I am using FnB lime white on the interior trim (except for the ceiling). I will try that just for comparison, I hope it wont look like a near miss. Here is the Hampshire Grey test: We need to get new garage doors anyway, which will be a whole nother post someday. Kitchy, I don't think it read as a whole. But I would not do ALL exterior doors in HG. We have a oddly pourous house. We have a double front door and then a front to back hallway with a back door (that is the one I might paint HG, but it has very little wood so I'm not sure, to wit:) But if we did all exterior doors... there are double french doors all the way around the pool building, and another set to the greenhouse. There are double french doors from the DR to the back patio. Then there is a single french door to the side, one to the garage, one from the LR to an interior courtyard, from the LR to back patio, from the side to the mudroom, from a powder room that connects to the pool, and I think I still forgot some. Oh yes graage doors on our little "barn" and on our garage. The only ones in the running are the back door to the center entry hall, and barn and garage doors. You can't see the stonehouse from the main house, except maybe from the pool when the leaves are bare. Even then not really. And the only place you see it when you are walking the far side of the pond (below, the stonehouse is all the way to the left, where the ladder is)..
    ...See More
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

So, Pal, are these floors warm or cool? Because as I was writing above I kind of talked myself into wanting to see the grain.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Those are warm.

MtnRdRedux thanked palimpsest
  • tibbrix
    8 years ago

That dish ware is awesome.

I think Roman shades are too formal for a beach house. JMO, of course. I think roller blackout shades to be pulled down at night, hidden behind a wood valance when up, and then the sheers for the breeze/beach effect. Lovely.

I also think folded fabric at beach houses is not necessarily a good idea because of the damp air.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

I would include a dishwasher.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Sorry to hi jack Mtn...Pal could you do a post on flat room examples? This is something we haven't touched on here.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

no worries jterri, hijackers welcome

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

A small drawer dishwasher is a great idea.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I probably won't do a d/w. It's not a real kitchen. I will only have a coffeemaker, toaster, maybe I will have one of those mini microwaves in a the cabinet, and a fridge drawer.

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

I haven't read through everything, but I love the turquoise, white, and shall we say dark coral (lobster) instead of the R word. Any combo would be great for the turquoise...accent wall, floor, ceiling. Just not feeling the gray floor unless it is a very light white-washed gray....don't want a darker gray to bring down this perky, fun vibe.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

These rooms are "flat" to me, even though they are colorful. The first is 1980s, I actually kind of like it except that the art and the artificial flower and grass arrangements are color matched to the interior (probably to the extent of being painted to match)

This one is Diamond Baratta, (now Anthony Baratta).

They obsessively color match, through custom dye lots and repeated trials, as I understand it. I actually like a lot of their work but for as colorful as it is, there is a flatness to it because the hues chosen all match across the different fabrics and finishes. I notice that they are often styled for photography with fresh flowers, because the flowers are the only thing that introduce anything different. Take the green leaves out, then what?

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

Are they supposed to carry the dirty coffee cups to the house? Since you spend time in Manhattan you probably know how horrendous old coffee smells from trash day outside Starbucks. Worse than a dead body. :)

In Great Britain they make an appliance called the Candy Trio. Its a gas or electric cooktop, an electric oven on the top half underneath, and a dishwasher drawer on the bottom half underneath. Of course not for the American market.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

So Pal, to correct the flat would you say art could make the difference? Or, how could one correct the flat?

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No, there will be a drainboard under the sink. And a sponge and that wonderful Meyers soap. It's part of the retro vibe. Unless, does FP make a stand alone small drawer? I have 2 stand alone tall drawers in the main house, one in the BP and one in the K proper.

• joaniepoanie
    8 years ago

Oh....and I would probably keep cabinets white....only doing turquoise or other colors on things that can easily be changed out (paint/fabrics) should you tire of the turquoise down the road.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Joanie, I am not going to worrying about tiring of things here, in a secondary space in a vacation home used seasonally. It's the one time I don't need to worry about that.

• palimpsest
    8 years ago

DCS makes a single dish drawer. So does F & P ? It appears that some companies have stopped making them.

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DD24S.html

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I don't have too much to add, other than I'd prefer a turquoise floor over a turquoise ceiling, if you're talking about a strong turquoise.

I have some jadeite pieces (including cabinet door knobs) in my beach house kitchen and love it in that setting. I also have turquoise accents in the same room (including a funky light fixture in turquoise over the sink) and... yes, RED.

Maybe you need some of this stuff, too?

appliances!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I wanted to throw some design seeds at you because....why not?

I'm thinking that in such a large room, you can go with a deep color on the ceiling between the rafters. I like this one because it shows that warmer taupe-color that you want to use on the floor and it has the warmer gray too. Very nice.

This is real lobster color, but it reminds me a lot of the guest room already.

This one lacks the red, but has the jadeite with the blue, as does the 2nd which allows for the "mismatch" pal spoke of. Note how pretty it is with the beiges as well as the grays.

This is a porcelain floor and I love the color variation and texture...and I don't normally go for gray. Go figure.

MtnRdRedux thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

OMG, SueB, yes, I will take one of each! TDF.

That reminds me, why hasn't someone designed a truly elegant Keurig?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I have to admit, your stuff is always so much fun to play with! Thanks for letting us vicariously decorate your rooms!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Annie, those are all so pretty. I do like the color of the lobster, and you are right he is quite orange. The claw is darker ... So maybe my color is "Lobster Claw".

Edited to Add: Thanks, Annie. I sometimes wonder if being on GW (ok, umm, Houzz) makes me more likely to do projects, or the other way around!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"Horizon" walls, white trim and beams. Water Drops ceiling, Caribbean Cool doors and cabs, Hickory grey wood floor. Jadeite and Lobster claw accessories, jute area rug and rattan accessories..

• MagdalenaLee
    8 years ago

Just wanted to comment about Pal's "flat" rooms. They appear flat to me because there's really no contrast or texture. Even though they are colorful, the rooms seem washed out.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Very pretty but where is the art?

• robo (z6a)
    8 years ago

It's perfect! I love it!!

Somehow I could picture a few IKEA Alseda stools thrown around (or a high end version thereof)

Even an uncooked lobster might not be amiss in this room, well, one of the blue ones anyway.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Mag, I agree and think sometimes it's not so hard. I don't love this picture but am using it as an example.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Robo, love those stools!

Jterri, I suck at selecting art. Plus, not much wall space here. A bank of windows on the N and S elevation, french doors and portholes to the East, and the Murphy Bed monstrosity on the W wall.

• just_terrilynn
    8 years ago

Well don't sit there and worry. Take some time off for a swim lol.

• Lavender Lass
    8 years ago

Love the Jadeite! I also really like the Water Drops color....especially with the Jadeite.

Yes, I think you should use the lighter turquoise (with the Jadeite green) and use the Lobster as accents.

As for the graduated shades of turquoise on the wall....I did that in my mom's bathroom. She chose a turquoise that was too dark and painted the walls. It was all wrong, so I came in with white and mixed it with the remaining turquoise and repainted the wall. I did graduated colors all the way up to a very pale turquoise at the top.

It was beautiful....but still turquoise. She ended up painting it peach the next year. She likes it much better :)

• voila
    8 years ago

I have observed through the years of reading Pal's comments to pay attention to his whispers..."I think you'll actually need variations in color saturation and subtle mismatches for this to work.". I think he is spot on in telling you to use some more saturated color for accents to avoid the above pink room, or to avoid the cutsie pastel bungalow. Think of Pellegrino green on the shelf along with cobalt blue or deep turquoise in a small picture or pillow (or cushion for the pouf). Or bluer and greener aqua. I also agree with his subtle suggestion of warmer gray (think beige/gray beach sand) for the walls. Here are some sample pix from Mill Creek (indoor/outdoor) shown on Fabric Guru.

• Sueb20
    8 years ago

I have the jterrilynn fabric in my kitchen! :)

• rebunky
    8 years ago

Ooooh, oooh! When I saw this thread and the turquoise I thought, a girl after my own heart. I had this picture and thought it went great with your design board.

This is going to be so much fun to see everything come together.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, Rebunky, I remember that photo from when i did the main house here. Maybe I was channeling it! So pretty.

Sueb, Do you mean the ones Voila posted? Nice retro kitchen vibe, w jadeite knobs!

Voila, For this project, I am totally willing to take risks that I would not in a space regularly occupied, all year. I can't see bringing in yellow, and the Lobster Claw color will be used sparingly, but I will go all over the color card in the blue and blue green family.

Lav, that sounds like a lot of painting, LOL. I bet Turq walls can be hard to live with. The main house here has mostly white walls on all three floors, as a foil for the saturated colors.

Gramma, cute. But why dont' they make ones that are not plastic? Like those gorgeous espresso machines.

Jterri, as I posted before, Art is my decorating weakness. I might steal another poster's idea (I forget who it was) and frame copies of old photos of the the hotels and destinations DH and I went to as kids. Plus we each have some great beach photos of us with our family as kids on the beach. Lastly, if i have the wall space, i've always liked the giant beach photos that Allison posted once.

• User
    8 years ago

I love the turquoise ceiling with white beams. Gulf Shores is a pretty color. Also like the turquoise accent wall. Will be a fun space to bring in color in art, rug(s) and accessories.

DD1 has three of Gray Malin's photographs in her bedroom... which is currently in our lower level. They are interesting photos and even more beautiful in person.

DD2's MBR has custom turquoise-ish walls and she has considered repainting after five years, but hasn't bitten the bullet. They are brighter in real life than photos show.

Look forward to seeing what you use. Fun space! Do you have links to main house? I'm not sure I saw all the rooms finished.

• Holly- Kay
    8 years ago

Oh my gosh, you are all amazing! Mtn. this is going to be just fabulous. I can't wait to see it!

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Late to the party, just got back from vacation. Mtn, this plan is exactly what my in-laws have above their EH garage--large open studio with bath and kitchenette. It's very multi-functional, and I think you'll get a lot of use from it.

I love the direction you're going in, and love this color scheme. I was going to vote for turquoise doors and cabinets, but I see you've already gotten that suggestion.

Love the idea of painted floors. What about a gray/white checkerboard pattern, or other stenciled pattern?

For art-- I think I'd look for large pieces of non-traditional art-- like a vintage turquoise bicycle, a huge map, a figurehead, a vintage lobster shack sign, antique turquoise shutters, etc. Or a weathered little old skiff/rowboat propped against the wall or hung from the ceiling.

I had a couple of pics I wanted to post but Houzz won't let me, grrrr!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, JLC. Ahh, a vintage turq bicycle. Locally there is a large charity flea market every spring. For days before they are bringing stuff in and they just rope it off. DH had his eye on a gorgeous vintage aqua bike, with a basket, that he wanted to get me. He went there 1hr early opening day ... to be told that a worker had already bought it before they opened. Grr. Did i mention it had a gorgeous rattan basket, too?

Anyway, one has to be patient for found objects, but I do like them better than art qua art.

How was your vacation?! Hope you had a nice time.

Holly-kay, thanks!

Allison,

I had to look closely, as the room looked green to me. I recall your posting it before ... lovely, esp the fabrics.

Which Malins does she have? I wish they had one for Maine!

Thanks for asking about the main house project. I think I've posted the first floor and MBR, not sure if I posted the guest rooms and bath , or the kids floor? If not I will try to soon.

• gramarows
    8 years ago

Oh, my colors!! Yes, it will look fab u lous! Especially with the Jade-ite. I was a passionate collector for years, and had just gotten started when Martha's Jade-ite collection came out and the prices sky-rocketed. Although I still love it madly, with my downsizing, I have to let so much of it go. : (

But I'll have so much fun watching your project evolve!!!

• User
    8 years ago

The color board is lovely! Especially like the rattan for color and texture.

• jlc712
    8 years ago

Oh, what a shame about your perfect bicycle! Hopefully another will come along, or something even better.

Vacation was nice, thank you. I should post an update on the other side.

Finally got my pics to post. I think I prefer the brighter orange-red to the darker reds with the turquoise/aqua.

Greek Island White House, The Orange Patio · More Info

Ggem Design Co Vintage Baths · More Info

Betsy Burnham · More Info

Summerhouse Skåne · More Info

Also, I love Schoolhouse Electric's striped shades with brass fixtures, and they'd be perfect! Their Chesapeake chandelier in brass is so nice, but I can't get the link to post. Here's a few others-

Allen Wall Sconce Light Fixture · More Info

Westmont 6" Light · More Info

You can get this one with RED cords :-)

Orbit 7-light Chandelier · More Info

• User
    8 years ago

Here is inspiration artwork from The Vivienne Files you might like.....while the colors are not exact matches with the those you plan to use, it shows a similar relationship between hues of turquoise and punches of red/orange.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

KSWL, That is lovely, and a good illustration of something that is tricky with mood boards; ie that moodboards don't make it easy to show the relative "weights" one is assigning to each color. Yes, to me rattan is a "must", seaside. Actually, somewhat like wood grain, I think it works everywhere.

JLC, Great photos! I love the bathroom. I also really like the orange-striped lights! Thank you for thinking of me.

Grama, Kudos to you for being ahead of the jadeite curve! thx

• User
    8 years ago

I was on the betterwall site today looking for a banner for DH's study and saw this for your garage loft. If you like the SF MOMA it might be a fun piece for your new space to hang from a rafter. The reverse side doesnt have the red strip at the bottom.

oops, wrong about that, the red strip is on both sides... Sorry.

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks KSWL, I am not crazy about that particular one, though we have been to the SFMOMA. But thanks for thinking of me and reminding me about another great decor source!

• User
    8 years ago

Still looking for DH and saw this one from the Getty. There selling them directly to the public and I love these colors! (Still looking for DH in colors of greens, mustard and brown, found a very cool Ming dynasty artifact banner but he nixed it.) sorry, I will stop now, lol!

• MtnRdRedux
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No worries, I do love those banners and am going to have to find somewhere to put one

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

mtnrd, I was thinking of you today. We were at the Clark to see the Van Gogh exhibit...found a Whistler thing too as a surprise. Anyway, Van Gogh was an admirer of Hiroshige and studied his works and style a lot. So they had this print on exhibit....I thought of your room with the blues, the jadeite and the touch of red...

They also had Van Gogh's Vineyards at Auvers which would also work as inspiration.