SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

What's the latest on citrus greening ?

Three years ago I had the horrible task of cutting down my 20 + ft tall Ruby Red grapefruit tree. The tree was here in the backyard when I bought this home 7 1/2 years ago. Had always loved grapefruit, but had never tasted a Ruby Red. It was so delicious, - I was psyched,..it immediately became my favorite fruit,..even more so than mango's !

Alas, the citrus greening came thru here and killed that vibrant tree, as well as all the other grapefruit trees in this large park I live in. Have been without Ruby Reds ever since, - almost bought another young tree at Home Depot, but the sales guy said they couldn't warrantee it because of the still rampant greening scourge. So, still no grapefruit tree here, ( S/W Florida, zone 9b ). However, in the last week I've met two people who have these trees in their yards and are enjoying the fruit. When asked tho, their brows wrinkled, had no idea what citrus greening was !

So, any GW'ers out there who have kept up on this disease,..is itt all over,..OK now to buy and plant a new 5 ft tall Ruby Red ? Thanks.

Comments (19)