SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
resnetg

Replacing Fescue Grass with Zoysia

G
8 years ago

I live in the upper part of the transition zone and I'm pretty tired of the summer heat killing my cool season grass in the front lawn (my home faces directly east with no shade), and myself spending money doing fall overseeding. I am seriously considering doing a complete yard transition within a week since temps are at their maximum for the summer here (85F ~ 95F and 70s for lows). My front windows reflect the sunlight in the mornings/afternoon onto my lawn and it makes the temps jump 25 degrees and it's simply killing the lawn in specific spots.

My question is, should I use Zenith Zoysia Seed, or Plugs? Roundup before? Till?

I cannot seem to get a definitive answer and some people recommend /against/ using seed because of the high failure of germination rate, and it's quite expensive. The area in question I am wanting to do this on is roughly 2100 square feet.

I was thinking about this:

- Use Lawn Edging on my property line since my left-side neighbor has no barrier between his line and mine. Use an edger to dig a trench and 'bury' the plastic separator to a depth of 4 or 5 inches to prevent the grass from spreading into their property line.

- Roundup the entire front yard.

- Wait 2 weeks, scalp the yard with a lawnmower on the lowest setting.

- Spread seed with a run-of-the-mill broadcast spreader at about 1.0lbs per 1000sqft.

- Use some lebanon turf (MESA) starter fertilizer after I spread it

- Use some straw to cover the seeds, but I read the seeds need direct sunlight?

The cost for this project for 2ksqft is roughly 160$ for the seed, but if I went with plugs, it would be nearly 400 dollars and it would take a long time to see results.

I'm also up for a recommendation for another type of Zyosia Grass, at long as it's winter hardy (and has a low winter kill rate) and is generally cost effective.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths