SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vthurnher

I'm so confused!

vthurnher
8 years ago

I have a heat pump system that must be replaced, and I've no idea how to choose the best system (read the most efficient but not overkill) for my application. My house is a 1650 sq ft tri-level with approx 300 sq ft on a concrete slab, approx 675 sq ft second story and 675 sq ft first floor over a crawlspace. There are 7 vents downstairs and 6 vents upstairs. I live in Tacoma, Washington, which has a relatively mild climate. Our heating season is about 7 months long- cold and rainy with maybe only a month of below freezing temperatures; and I usually only need to run the A/C for 2 months out of the year. Summer time humidity is not a big issue. My current heat pump is a 3 ton Tempstar R-22 unit paired with a Goodman air handler model number A36-10C. This system has been adaquate but not great, and hasn't been particularly economical. The downstairs is too cool in the winter and the upstairs is too hot in the summer. I want the replacement system to be the most efficient and economical I can afford without being overkill. One of the companies that did a bid for me said the air return was adequate, but just barely. They looked at adding an additional air return, but then decided that the existing return, while not optimal, would serve. They proposed a Carrier Comfort Series 25HCD3 heat pump with a Carrier FB single speed electric furnace with 15KW heat strip on the low end, and a Carrier Infinity Series 25HNB6 2 stage heat pump with a Carrier FV variable speed electric furnace with 15KW heat strip on the high end. Other bids I got were for an American Standard 3 ton Silver 14 heat pump 4A6H4036 paired with an American Standard 3 ton indoor air handler with 10KW heat strip (model number unknown); American Standard Gold 17 4A6H7036 heat pump paired with an American Standard TAM7AOC42H31 variable speed air handler (I think I read somewhere that it has a 20KW heat strip.) The last two systems are a Trane 2 ton XR-15 heat pump paired with a Trane 2.5 ton GAM-5 air handler with 10KW heat strip, and a Trane 2 ton XR-17 heat pump paired with a 3.5 ton TAM-8 communicating variable speed air handler. My head is ready to explode with all this info. The Trane guy said my house sizes out to a 1.7 ton unit, with the nearest size being a 2 ton unit, yet one of his proposals included a 3.5 ton air handler. Would an air handler of this size be too big for my barely adequate air return? How do I choose what size heat strip 10KW, 15KW, or 20KW? Can you help me sort this out? I have no way of knowing who is overselling and who is underselling- can you help?

Comments (4)