SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Co op Board

eld6161
8 years ago

Long story short, my oldest daughter bought a co op. A unit opened up above hers and the owner offered it to us.

This apartment would be great for my youngest as well as an investment. My DH and I along with my daughter will be on the mortgage.

All our financials are in place and in good standing. We met with the board three weeks ago and we were told that they would get back to us the next day. My oldest was told an hour after her meeting!

The board is handling things very unprofessionally. After not hearing from them for five days we emailed them, Finally the Vice President got back to us (there isn't a president for some odd reason) and he said that he was out of town and that he heard the meeting was adjourned and would meet the following week. Still, no word. Meanwhile, the owner was not even contacted that a board meeting was scheduled.

At this point in time, our lawyers have contacted the board.

We feel it is one person holding things up. The entire building is in a state of disrepair and is not run properly. Half of the owners rent out their units.

My husband gutted my daughters apartment and everything from the floor to the ceiling was replaced. The night of the meeting, my husband used my daughters apartment as a model for what we would do upstairs.

My feeling is that one member is feeling threatened by what we have done. She probably thinks that we want to fix up the rest of the building. And, she would be right!

We own real estate properties, but never a co op. I just read in the NY Times today that someone was kept waiting three months and had different demands made that were ridiculous.

Anyone familiar with co ops. I wonder if there anything we can do to sway the opinion in our favor?

Comments (11)