SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildbrat

Old Sofa, New Life.

wildbrat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I posted a thread here a week ago, "Tale of Two Sofas". Well...I didn't choose either of them and instead chose this Sherrill Sofa made in 2000. It has the higher tufted back and arms that I wanted. I plan on reupholstering it hopefully sooner than later but it's something I can live with for a little bit while I choose the fabric AND an upholsterer. I don't have the sofa in my possession yet but will in a couple of weeks. I'm excited! I've been sofa-less for a few months now but I think my puppy misses having a sofa around more than I do!

Comments (27)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    8 years ago

Nice find! I see many hours of comfortable lounging with the pup!

wildbrat thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks teeda and cyn427! I'm not sure what the legs look like and oh yeah, if I can remove the fringe before having it reupholstered, it's going! Pillows I definitely have but not many that go with the sofa as is, that's the only part that might be tough with using the sofa until I have it reupholstered.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Good decision! Congrats.

wildbrat thanked tibbrix
  • Fori
    8 years ago

It's a good looking sofa, and I LIKE the fringe. I also know what a fringe would look like after about 24 hrs. in my place... :)

• kudzu1965
    8 years ago

I would ditch the fringe, but I actually kinda like the fabric! Love all that tufting, too. Enjoy!

wildbrat thanked kudzu1965
  • Olychick
    8 years ago

If you can take off the fringe, but need to cover where it was attached, you could probably make some cording out of the fabric on the pillows. I remember you posting this sofa; I think it's beautiful.

wildbrat thanked Olychick
  • User
    8 years ago

OH totally nice! And yes Sherrill is a very good brand. I think olychick's advice regarding the fringe removal is a good idea especially if your dog is likely to think the fringe is a toy:).... this way you can address that before the reupholstery. Enjoy your new sofa!!

wildbrat thanked User
  • Bonnie
    8 years ago

What a good find! Can't wait to see it in your home.

wildbrat thanked Bonnie
  • DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

Definitely a sofa worth giving a new life - can't wait to see what you do with it down the road.

wildbrat thanked DLM2000-GW
  • wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The sofa can't get here fast enough! I will be contacting local upholsterers for estimates and will hopefully get this sofa reupholstered in a month or 2. This is my first time getting something reupholstered...any words of wisdom?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Have bench cushion made for it. Also, get good info. on which fabrics are best for tufted sofas, and which are worst. You have to be careful with that.

wildbrat thanked tibbrix
  • wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was debating on the cushions whether to go down to 2 or a single/bench. I did like the style of the seat on THIS particular sofa but I've never had a sofa where the seat cushion was tufted or stationary ...any thoughts or experience with such a seat cushion style?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

That is called a tight seat, I believe, and it's more expensive to have done. Personally, I'm a fan of bench cushions. In fact, I wish they'd bring them back in cars! A tight seat is preferable, IMO. But again, more expensive.

wildbrat thanked tibbrix
  • Bonnie
    8 years ago

Go with a bench cushion, but not a tight seat so you can flip it. My favorite sofa was a tuxedo sofa with a bench cushion. A bench cushion would be a good style for your new sofa.

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Here is a pic of my sofa, wild brat. Almost identical to the Sherrill you bought. Mine is a Hickory Chair. This is what your Sherrill would look like reupholstered, no skirt or fringe, and a bench cushion, I think.

• wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow tibbrix, with the exception of no tufted arms your sofa DOES look exactly like the body of my sofa or mine will look exactly like yours once it gets an updo. We both have great taste!!

• DLM2000-GW
    8 years ago

"....A tight seat is preferable...."

Go ahead, tibbrix, rub it in

;-)

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

Beautiful sofa Tibbrix. Is that the chair you had reupholstered?

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Wildbrat, didn't realize the arms on the Sherrill are tufted. So nice. I really think you made a very wise decision.

Lol, DLM. Hard to see, from that angle, the dent in the bench cushion my not-so-tight seat makes!

Thank you, Bonnie_ann. No, the pink chair is next. If I can get the money together this year, I''l have it done next spring as well.

These are before and after pics of the chair I had done, which was my grandfather's chair.

Before (also, the frame was coming apart, and the already gross upholstery was dirty. Notice the lovely tears on the front right corner of the cushion and the fab-yoo spacing of the railheads. No clue who did this. No doubt some $25 job my thrifty Yankee father found. It was his father's chair.)

AFTER (btw ,anyone in the Boston area, I have the absolute, bar-none BEST upholsterer. He's in Brighton. If you pay cash, he'll knock $25 or so off the price; he got my chair done in THREE DAYS!. He repolished the woodwork on the chair, and I hadn't even asked him to do so. He is awesome. A friend referred me).

Fabric

• wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Beautiful fabric on your chair, tibbrix, I love the quatrefoil pattern!

it is hard to tell with the arm covers that my sofa has tufted arms. Here's a photo I asked the seller to send me so I could see the arms better before I made my decision...

• tibbrix
    8 years ago

Nice, nice, nice!

Fabric was very affordable. I really wanted a gorgeous houndstooth by the same maker. It was a beautiful very, very soft green/beige, but since I rent my house, I was just too nervous to get a light-colored fabric, so I went with the darker. It's an interesting pattern, It changes in so many ways, depending on how you look at it.

Can see you totally curling up with your pup on that sod. I bet that back is very comfortable to lean against. Mine is the most comfortable sofa back I've ever leaned on. On the other hand, the cushion BITES! I was furious. I paid a fortune for that sofa. Seems these manufacturers can't make a decent cushion any longer. I'm going to have my reupholstery guy make a new cushion for me for the sofa at some point too.

• wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like houndstooth and herringbone patterned fabric too. Too many fabric options are dangerous for me...

• Bonnie
    8 years ago

Gorgeous transformation Tibbrex. I understand the thrifty Yankee mentality all too well!

Wildbrat, I would think the tufted arms would be optional when you have the sofa reupholstered.

• wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think it depends on the upholsterer, bonnie_ann and I hope you're wrong, lol! I love the tufted arms, it's one of the main reasons I decided to get this sofa so I don't want to get charged extra for keeping them in the reupholstered design.

• User
    8 years ago

When I priced re-upholstery for my "New" Victorian sofa they charged by the tuft. Added a whopping amount of money. I didn't do it.

I paid a professional company to clean that sofa. They did not get it clean. After the re-upholstery estimate I figured I had nothing to loose so hooked up the shop vac, got out the dollar store cleaner and sprayed and sucked as I went. I only did a couple of feet at a time, followed with a clear water spray and let it dry so I knew where I'd been and where to go next. It looks fine today. The upholstery is old, not original, but looks pretty good. And I like it!

• wildbrat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Imhappy&Iknowit is your sofa tufted now or did you want to add tufting? Show us a picture! :-)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals