SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim2007_gw

New life for an old French door

kim2007
16 years ago

We had an extra French door from this old house that we installed in place of the hollow core door that was on my office half bath. I hated that cheapo hollow core door, and it made the little 'alcove' outside the half bath feel like a cave. I wasn't entirely sure it was the right thing to do with the French door, but I went with it anyway in spite of my reservations and now I'm so glad I did. It's much brighter in there during the day now. I've got fabric to make a curtain for the inside of the door for privacy when needed, but at other times I can use a holdback to hold the curtain aside and get some light into the alcove from the big window that is inside the half bath. I've been painting the door the same butterscotch color as the rest of the doors in the room, and finishing up on the dark brown trim painting. There was really no other place we could use that extra French door, and I hated to just see it sitting in the garage.

The old hollow core door with a mirror nailed on the front:

The extra French door with its old aquamarine paint job:

With the new butterscotch paint and cleaned up hardware:

This is the halfbath window that will let light through the French door into the alcove:

Comments (7)