SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Hosta flowers valuable addition to the garden!

woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Like most people I mainly grow hostas for their leaves. But, this time of year, I get reminded of what valuable additions the flowers can be. In particular, I planted a division of one of my big blue ones in the patio bed at the end of the driveway three years ago to try to shade out some couchgrass that was trying to invade the 'moat bed' (bed along the top of the ditch by the road). The leaves are not very blue there as the area is pretty much in full sun all day. But the flowers have been spectacular and a great addition to the front garden. The hosta started blooming at the first of the month and has been putting on a show ever since!

July 10 with clematis Henryi blooming in the Chinese wisteria 'tree':

July 17 with secondary summer bloom on the wisteria (clematis still in bloom too)

This morning - hosta flowers starting to drop

At the back corner of the garage a plain green hosta that we brought with us from our other house 16 years ago makes a nice edging at the corner of the narrow bed along the garage. The hostas look good out of flower too, but the flowers add color and flow that enhance the companion plants:

I'm starting to pay much more attention to hosta flowers now, looking for where they would suit the more flowery areas of the garden too instead of just the shady 'green' garden. Where/how do all you hosta fanatics make use of the flowers? What ones would you recommend for their flowers and versatility of placement?

Comments (6)