SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcalabrez

Advice on Alside Mezzo down vs Harvey Classic up

Devan
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm getting ready to do a city subsidized de-leading project on a multi-family in Somerville, MA. The contractor, provided by the city, is pushing hard for Alside Mezzo windows for the downstairs rental unit, likely for both price and the timeframe involved, as the downstairs needs to be complete by mid to late August (earlier is better).

The other unit has more time flexibility and Harvey Classics have been recommended to me by others, which is probably what we're going with. They're a local Boston manufacturer and the expected lead time is longer, but we have more time available for upstairs.

Is this a good plan? I've read pretty bad reviews of Alside in general and somewhat mixed things about the newer, redesigned Mezzos (and mostly good things about Harvey Classics). The Mezzos do seem to be better received than the older Excaliburs that they replaced. As a side, I'm also concerned about the financial condition of Alside, as a warranty from a company that goes under is probably worthless.

Is there a decent alternative to Alside Mezzo that I can request from the contractor that's better quality and competitively priced? Preferably with a relatively short manufacturing lead time? I'm looking for something both the contractor and I will be happy with. I believe the city budgets around $350/window.

Any other suggestions or advice on Alside, Mezzos, Harvey Classics, etc. I'm very interested in learning about as well.

Thank you very much and have a great weekend.

Comments (34)