SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjderosa

Forced air vs hydro/radiant questions

pjderosa
8 years ago

Hi all,

We're building a new 2 story 2500 sq ft house in MA. We are planning AC to handle the mid-summer hot spells, but also to control humidity problems (mildew smells etc). The base approach of the builder is split forced air systems. But we've been interested in hydro/radiant systems due to better comfort (we've heard) and potential energy savings (lower operating temps and better thermal mass). However, it seems like it would be a very expensive upper (20+K I think he said) and we're already pushing our budget. We're considering maybe just doing it in the basement and first floor and maybe using a ductless mini split AC on the first, then having regular AC/forced air ducted unit in attic for the 2nd floor. Or we could do minis in all rooms (3 up, 2-3 down) and radiant everywhere.

I've heard air systems can be outfitted with a humidifier for winter indoor dryness (we usually run several units in winter). Is that true and is it recommended? Should I consider that a pro of going with the forced air system?

Another question is we are getting a nat gas FP for the open downstairs living space. Wondering if that could be used effectively for radiant thermal mass to provide more comfortable heat downstairs, or if that's really just wasteful energy use compared to central furnace?

Given our budget, I'm not sure if I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and I should just go with the simple base option.

Anyone work through a similar scenario or have other sensible ideas or thoughts for us?

Thank you!

Comments (2)