SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

A visit from Forum Friends

annie1992
8 years ago

Some of the "old timers" here may remember our good friend San. Also known as "lakesidesan". I know her as Sandy, and she and her husband Ted came from New Hampshire for a family wedding. She couldn't come to Michigan without visiting me, so we got to spend an afternoon, an evening and a morning together. It was wonderful and she was just as lovely in person as she's always been on line. So, now she's no longer an "imaginary friend", she's real! And she's in my front yard!

Of course, I had to cook. We had a cider brined pork tenderloin:

I also baked 3 cheese dinner rolls with some of my homeground wheat, but forgot to take photos. We had a side of homemade pappardelle, rolled by hand since the Princess and I broke the pasta machine and I had not replaced it. It was sauced with a cream based parmesan sauce, with sautéed Italian sausage, red peppers and mushrooms. It was a bit thicker than I like, I like it paper thin, but my wrists gave out before I got it that thin!

We had snacks before, a tray of cheese, olives, sausages and crackers, and we ended up with a piece of homemade cherry pie. Crust was made with the lard I'd rendered and the filling was a mix of sour cherries from my trees and sweet cherries from a local orchard, with freshly whipped heavy cream.

San had some wine and Ted had some beer and Elery and I had Diet Coke and we talked and laughed and talked some more. They spent the night and the next morning I made a nice spinach and fontina quiche with a hash brown crust, some of our home smoked Canadian bacon and overnight cinnamon rolls courtesy of Alton Brown...

She had the "farm tour" in the Jeep, and the "garden tour", although the tall grass around the garden made her a bit leery of grass snakes. Luckily we didn't see any, and made it safely back to the house, after an introduction to my new batch of growing pullets. She met the cows, but not the horses and I completely forgot to introduce her to the pigs, LOL.

I was sorry to see her leave, we had such a grand time talking and eating and it was a nice break from my daily routine. I'd love it if she came back, but you never know, I might decide to take a trip to New Hampshire!

Annie

Comments (27)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm