SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Building/waterproofing shower w/cement block exterior walls?

loves2read
8 years ago

We are building walkin shower where old acrylic soaking tub is now. House on Gulf Coast of Florida--almost 0 chance of freezing spells. Concrete slab floor. Approx half 4x6 new shower is on exterior wall with concrete block construction and current sheetrock screwed into lathe strips -- the other half is on interior wall w/wood 2x4 framing.

I want some form of waterproofing between tile and wall/Durrock -- not just plastic sheeting in front of wood framing or screed/muddled walls (like the shower pan). Since there likely is no insulation on the CB walls and none in the interior walls -- does it matter if we use membrane or roll-on liquid? Will no insulation on outside areas cause condensate around the lathe strips behind the waterproofing and tile? On tile guy's blog said if u did water proofing behind tile not to use second waterproofing layer behind Durrock toward exterior walls.

Shower pan to be built/mudded w/pre-slope. Will make sure curb is done same way or with bricks--no wood. How should/would the vinyl liner be secured going up the walls with lathe strips vs regular 2x4 framing? Are lathe strips strong enough to add rigidity/support behind the Durrock? I think they use adhesive to attach strips to CB and dont think they can screw thru Durrock into CB to anchor it.

I plan on pre-blocking for grab bars -- one will be in knee-wall by entrance so into wood framing. #2 might be on CB area--what is best process to do that?

I am usually the one asking questions and want to know what the right answer looks like.

Comments (9)