SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashton_bunce

Can you waterproof tiled shower walls after they are installed?

Ashton Bunce
last year

Hired a handyman to rip out an old fiberglass shower and install a new tiled walk-in shower. He is in his 60s and said masonry was his specialty and that he had been doing showers for over 40 years. He got to work quickly and before I knew it he had all the walls tiled. Then he started on the floor. When I got home from work, I noticed the tile on the floor looked terrible and wasn't pitched correctly. I called him out on it and he turned on the shower and water just pooled in the bottom of the shower. I had him rip the floor back out and said he needed to fix it. I happened to be around the house more in the coming days as he was fixing it and observed he wasn't lining the shower floor in any way. I confronted him about it and he said he didn't need to line it because he was planning to put sealant on the tiles and grout at the end which would waterproof everything. I had never heard of such a thing and after doing my research on the internet, I decided to have him stop working on the shower all together as I believed he didn't know what he was doing. Now my husband and I are left to finish the shower floor ourselves, so that it can be done properly. My question is about the shower walls: they are already in place/fully tiled and he admitted that there is just durock behind them and no liner or waterproodf barrier to protect the wood supports behind the durock. Could I seal the tiles like he mentioned to waterproof the walls and then focus on installing a proper pvc liner for the floor? It seems like the floor is the most important area to really waterproof?! Thanks in advance for the advice!

Comments (36)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths