SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Problem with cabinet installed 5 years ago - thoughts?

numbersjunkie
8 years ago

Back in 2010 I did a kitchen remodel using Bookhaven frameless cabinets. The dealer I purchased the cabinets from did the install and we were very happy with the quality of their work. About a week ago, I noticed the bottom side of one cabinet to the right of my sink seemed to be bowing out, and it looks like the veneer may be starting to separate on the edge. Here is a picture, but it the problem is not as obvious in the picture as it is in person.

Both my husband ( who is an engineer) & I are stumped by this - although the bottom edge of the cabinet box is bowing outward (toward the sink opening), from the inside and underneath it does not appear to be separating from the base of the cabinet. There does not appear to be any other place on the cabinet that looks out of whack. Looking from underneath, everything looks perfectly tight. BUT, DH did notice there is a a metal bracket attached to the underside which is screwed into the side and the base at the front edge. We never noticed this bracket before because we have recessed bottoms. None of the other cabinets have this bracket.

I can't believe this was the way it looked when the cabinets were first installed. I spent over a year here on the site before the remodel and was quite TKO at the time (still am). Its seems inconcievable that this could have gone unnoticed for 5 years.

Replacing the cabinet box will be a problem considering the backsplash and crown will be affected and also because the cabinets are natural cherry which have darkened over time so a new box won't match.

I tried to contact Brookhaven directly since the dealer/installer I used is no longer a Brookhaven dealer. I sent an email to the regional rep listed on their website, but a week later I have not had any response. The only other contact information I can find for Brookhaven is a mailing address. I expect they will just say it is an install issue anyway. And even if they replace the box, their waranty does not cover the labor cost which will likley be more costly than the cabinet box.

I'm not sure it was an install issue - the only reason for the installer to attach a bracket/brace there would be if they dropped the cabinet and it started to come apart - in which case there would have been some damage to the cabinet edges and there is not. I have put in a call to the installer dealer in the hope that they will come out and look at the problem, but since they are no longer a Woodmode/Brookhaven dealer I don't know what their repsonse will be.

I am hoping one of the pros here (or anyone else) may have some insight into what "likely" caused this problem and/or what can/should be done to correct it or at least keep it from getting worse.

Comments (16)