SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Question(s) about safely discarding papers

Alisande
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm finally going through my husband's old files, and there's much to throw out. We don't burn things anymore, so my choices are recycling whole or recycling shredded. There are so many files here that the thought of shredding them all is daunting in the extreme.

Old paid credit card bills have the account number on them, as well as his name and address. He's deceased, the Rural Route address no longer exists, and the credit card was canceled long ago. Still, I'm not entirely comfortable throwing them out intact. Am I being paranoid?

What about bank and other financial statements? Again, these accounts have been closed for some time. I'm shredding anything containing a S/S number.

Oh, and some of the financial statements are in my name, with my current address.

And a related question: I have a couple of "major" pieces of paperwork that I see no reason to keep, but thought I'd run them by my knowledgeable KT friends. Should I continue to keep the contract for the sale of my parents' house in Florida? Contract for the sale of my husband's business? These are from the 1990s.

Thanks for your help! I write this surrounded by papers . . .

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County