SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazydaisies

Monarch Caterpillar Failures

Hi everyone,

This is my second summer attempting to raise monarchs. It seems I have a very low success rate and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. This will probably be a long post, but I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read it and give me some feedback.

At first I started in a small popup bug keeper (like the ones you get in Toys R Us) and they were small and hard to use so I used a terrarium I had and successfully raised one monarch in that.

This year I bought one of those mesh 22 gallon keepers from LLL reptiles and I love it. I had 3 eggs that I found the beginning of July that hatched on the 4th. They were super healthy and got all the way to the 5th instar stage. The first one went to the top, did the little spiny thing to attach himself to the mesh, and then stayed in what I would describe as a 'w' rather than a 'j' and started leaking. The second one did the same 'w' shape and just died. Didn't leak at all.

The third one went up and spun itself to the mesh, and got the white stuff everywhere. It was all over all of it's legs and it made like a weird mess of web and wasn't attached to the mesh. It hung down like a 'j' - although I'm not sure it was intentional and then it did the leaking and died.

I have one more caterpillar that is small. I took him out and cleaned everything and let it dry before putting him back in.

I have swamp milkweed. I take 5-6 inch cuttings of milkweed and put the stem in a tupperware container so the leaves last longer. I use NO insecticides or anything in my garden. It's inside my fence inside a garden fence so no one is getting anything on it. I got the milkweed from a local nursery and should not have been treated with anything. The owners are very passionate about saving monarchs and gave me bonus milkweed when I bought mine because they want people to plant it.

None of their frass was mushy or watery. All very dry. They seem super healthy until they try to pupate? I saw no larvae or anything that came out when they were leaking. They didn't turn solid black like I've seen although once I know they are dead I don't leave them in there I get rid of them.

We keep our house at 78 degrees. I wondered if it wasn't humid enough so I was going to put a try of rocks with water in it in there, but read that you don't want moisture at all because it's a playground for bacteria.

I honestly don't know what to do. It's so disheartening to get them all the way to that stage and then they die. I feel like I need to just leave them in the garden unless I can figure out what I'm doing wrong because they seem to have no chance of surviving with me at the moment. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Michaela

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES