SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbobul

Milkweed, aphids, and monarch caterpillars

dbobul
4 years ago

I have a small patch of milkweed of varying varieties on the side of my garden. I can honestly say that I have neglected these plans with any attention over the last few weeks except for weeding and mowing around.

The other day however I happened to notice that a majority of the plants were covered in clusters of aphids. I began a very targeted extermination attempt using Dr. Earths insect spray that very night. Now a few days later I inspected the plants expecting a boneyard of dead aphids, only to find many of the clusters still very active. On top of that, while inspecting my plants, I happened to find my very first monarch cat on what believe is Common Milkweed.

My questions are this: Should I stop using the spray and admit defeat for this year vowing to be more alert next year? Or should I continue my targeted extermination process being careful not to spray to much but the infested parts of the plants? Or is there some other advice someone could offer me.

I removed the cater from the plants and now have it housed in a butterfly tent on a potted milkweed.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals