SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asleep_in_the_garden

Finally broke down and whacked it...

The tallest of my rubber tree cuttings from another thread around here somewhere ...got a lopping.

Before-

After-

A little further back_

Stuck the cutting right in the pot with the parent tree-

Figured I would do it this way as I haven't in a while.

If things start looking bad for it,I'll move it to a terrarium,but I kinda doubt it will be necessary. There's a node or two below the surface,so the plan is just to keep on treating it like nothing's changed,watering when the mix dries out a bit,etc.

Anyhoo,..I just did it a little while ago so I figured I'd document it.

Believe it was Petrushka who was encouraging me to do this last year.

...better late than never,right? ;)

Comments (96)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Problem with that is that the energy is coming from the green part,and if you keep removing the food factories I suspect all you are going to accomplish is that encouragement of more all green growth. Variegation typically(I think) occurs where there is enough light that the food factories aren't mandatory because there is more than enough of it.

• laticauda
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We've been discussing this issue with specifically the Krimson Princess. For some reason it seems no matter how much light they get, they have a very high reversion rate and the green stuff grows towards the sun, eventually engulfing the variegated part to the very bottom of the shady part of the plant. I wish I could find the thread.

So I'm going to try a different approach. Lots of light and "eat" those greenies! The variegated leaves have enough chlorophyll to make food for the plant I believe.

I think mine gets enough sun since the variegation on the new growth is pink. <That should have been a question mark!

That's one I removed and rooted in the pot. So much green. Here's the plant today.

asleep_in_the_garden thanked laticauda
  • Related Discussions

Finally Broke Down and Bought a Bucket Taxi

Q

Comments (6)
    Lisa: One more thing I discovered is that four-cup (or is it 3??? can't recall) measurer is much easier on my hands and wrists than the watering can I was carrying. And it doesn't take any longer. All my plants are in my office so I don't have as many options as some. Another plus: I hook a plastic bag to the handle and remove dead leaves/blooms as I go. Before I left them on the shelves and went back later with the garbage can. Oh, it takes 20 gallons to water all my plants. Irina: You are so funny. &quot;...inspiration didn't come from angels...&quot; You had me really laughing with that one. And the puppy's name is &quot;Russell&quot; after his biggest fan and favorite person at the extended care facility. Linda
    ...See More

We finally broke ground!!

Q

Comments (6)
    awesome, looks like a great site. As someone who just started a month or so ago, my advice is put your seatbelt on cause it is a hell of a ride that goes real real quick. good luck and keep the pictures coming. ps. it looks like you do not have enough rocks. tell me your location and i will give you some of mine, lol.
    ...See More

step on a crack...whack-whack...!!!

Q

Comments (3)
    BPC- I did think about the Epoxy methods. Read some Internet info., etc. One DIY-kit was $150. Small-$change I know, when considering the total value of the basement furnishings, etc.! However, I've never had this issue in 15 years (age of our home), until last year. Even then, it leaked only during direct rain on the top of the foundation crack...and we've had WET years recently! The whole foundation wall itself is only 42&quot; high, measured on the inside from floor (we're in a bi-level). If this was a FULL basement, I'd be doing the Epoxy, and/or hiring it out. I did a good job enlarging the crack on the outside, and pressing Quikrete H-C into it. Foundation-dirt packed firmly (with a tamper!!) down and well sloped away from house, with 6-mil plastic under decorative rock 4' out, along entire side. Pic taken last summer. Crack WAS at lower-right of window in the foreground. I've since lowered the level of the rock against home a couple inches too. I had it up pretty close to the siding! THAT was a job!!!!! Pulling all that rock back a couple feet, so I could remove 2&quot; of dirt, and still have some slope!! Layin' on my stomach, and chiseling a crack....NOW THAT'S FUN!! Faron
    ...See More

Finally broke down and bought a robot vac

Q

Comments (4)
    What brand? I had the Neato pet version. It was a great little robot. It unfortunately couldn't swim and drowned! I sure do miss it. Good luck! They showed on the news last night a cat that got its tail sucked up in the robot. She called the police and they came and cut a big hunk of the tail hair off.
    ...See More
  • asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When I said "I think" above,that was because I suspect that this is not always the case. Variegation is still a bit of a mystery to me.

I have a tradescantia fluminensis that has reverted completely,and a few years ago it would occasionally put of a spurt of pin-striping that I would cut and root separately to start the whole thing over. Today I can't find any of the variegated stuff(guess it all died),but I still have a pot full of the reverted stuff.

Good luck with your experiment...I'd be curious to see how it goes. :)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Well...poisonous plants and camouflaged plants had some sort of pressure pushing them to resort to their means of defense!

I think other animals eating them is one of those stimuli.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

And even though I didn't want ANY carnosas, I now have three types. Reverted green KP, KQ (also known as tricolor, correct?) And the regular variegated KP.

Umm....for science!

• laticauda
    8 years ago

And I think you ARE curious. "Would be" psssh....just admit you wish you could take the idea for your own.

I hope I'm getting *lulz* here and not torches and pitchforks.

Edit: maybe I'll find the cure for something on accident or something.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"just admit you wish you could take the idea for your own."

Never! ;)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Okay, so I'm pretty sure that if anything amazing comes up, I'll make a thread about it. Otherwise, you guys just gotta remind me.

P.s. I am a flora and fauna nerd. Scientific names? Genetics? COUNT ME IN....well....to a point, then I'm like...."can we get ice cream?" Even though I don't really like ice cream.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

@Bethany

Have you put that poor vine in a bath of water yet? Leaves and all!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't like ice cream?!!

What human doesn't like ice cream?!! lol

Bethany,if you find a way to increase the humidity to something closer to 100% it will perk up as well(if you REALLY don't want to pull it out and immerse it).

Mind you,once it's used to that high humidity after rooting,it will need to be weened off gradually. I usually keep these guys in a terrarium,but it's muggy outside right now so I can get away with it.

*goes to check the freezer for ice cream*

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's that tradescantia fluminensis I was talking about-

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Methinks I will have to take a pair of scissors to the leaves on my benjamina cutting. Really should have done that the other day. Grrrr.

My plan is to cut 'em all in half.

Here's the sad state they are in at the moment. -

...wilting big time! :(

• barbmock
    8 years ago

Asleep, I spotted your anthurium in the group pictures. It seems to be growing and starting to recover. I usually keep a group of the smaller plants together in a pot, i think they benefit somehow, maybe a slightly bigger pot or maybe the just like to socialize. Actually, i keep the larger plants two or three in a pot.

asleep_in_the_garden thanked barbmock
  • laticauda
    8 years ago

Did you get any ice cream, asleep?

• laticauda
    8 years ago

isn't that the cutest little two inch pot you've ever seen?

Oh, also, peperomias will root and grow a new plant from a petiole/leaf cutting. I love it.

But it appears that maybe this variety "russo" does not sprout true to its form and reverts back to the heart-shaped species-type. I'm not complaining...now I just gotta find that species name. I've just been telling people to look up "peperomia russo" since the species looks totally different.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barb,..I've got new growth on one that did it outside without being rushed back indoors to a terrarium like last time. That little leaf has my full attention everytime I go out front. The two that I had left indoors I moved out a few days ago...terrarium and all. I figured this way I would get the best of both worlds. It's kinda windy out there and the temps are dropping into the low 60s and extended forecast says high 50s. I hope they don't freak out.

Laticauda,..generic chocolate...twas yummy. I recommend it highly to any and all.

That IS a cute pot!

I used to start pep scandens like that all the time in terrariums. Dib a little hole,insert petiole,off she goes! Ters would soon be overrun with the stuff. Had so much I took it for granted,and now I don't think I have it anymore. That same kind of devil may care neglect has cost me various tradescants as well. You figure they are so easy,why bother...and then one day you look up and omg they're gone! lol

• laticauda
    8 years ago

That's easy enough to solve. That just means you have to propagate a new tradescantia every year, because new plants need more attention and are less likely to be forgotten. As for what to do with all of that greenery? Do you have chickens? They'll eat it. I think it's safe for rabbits too(would have to check on that one and even if so, only adult rabbits, and only a small amount if the animal is not used to eating fresh greens. It could kill them to switch over quickly like that.)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

The cool thing about the peperomias is that even though it's in that tiny pot and I forget to water it a lot...it's still going. I have succulents who are way harder to get going than that! If their roots dry too much, you gotta start all over again!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

No chickens. Doubt that I would be allowed to keep any here in rochopolis. Out in the county,sure...but not here.

Most of my plants are started from cuttings. For the most part,I don't buy plants...way too limited a budget. Income is fixed...neutered...spayed!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Not too sure how well it shows in this pic but the terminal tip on the cutting isn't as red as the tip on a side shoot seen in the upper right hand corner...it's darker-

I'm guessing this means that the cutting is devoting the energy to root making and not focusing on opening that leaf up at the moment.

Day ten and looking good! :)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Barb,..here's a shot of the (now outdoor)terrarium-

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Ahhhh! Sorry, I have been MIA. I did move those very sulky leaves to water, I haven't checked on them yet. :/ I guess I need to.

Life itself has been giving me the run around, I hear you about the income thing, Asleep. I'm limited too (9 kids and hubby just hasn't had the big paying contracts we are used to), so when I get cuttings, if they don't make it, it's a real bummer. :(

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Seeing that picture, asleep...makes me really think my fittonias are going to hate me come winter.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bethany...NINE kids??? Good heavens you must be tired! I have no children,no wife,..not even a girlfriend. I have a roommate that shares the apartment with me but for the most part we stay out of each other's hair. Solitude. Autonomy suits me pretty well so far...I've gotten rather used to it. :)

Laticauda,..the fittonias that I have(pink and white veined) would shrivel up fast if I didn't keep them under glass...I've tried. They are among the worst of my humidity junkies,and as they grow they take up more and more space that could be going to use for other plants that pout without their "fix".

If you were to set up a tank and spot it with florescent lighting,yours would make it through winter easy as pie. Only thing to worry about in a sealed environment is fungus...the white webby kind. My pinks have required a bit of attention for that,and my usual tactic is to dust it with cinnamon when it's actually ON that plant,and a little dusting after I've scraped as much as I can off of the soil's surface can help to prevent it growing back. My white veined one hasn't been problematic thus far(knocks wood). It's still inside in a tank filling up a six inch pot.

Here's an older pic of it(my camera is out of order 'til I get my phone turned back on). ---

This is a close up shot...from then and it's a LOT fuller now. Takes up like a whole third of a ten gallon tank. I'm willing to put up with that though. It's pretty enough that it's worth it. ;)

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Also here's an update of sorts(without a pic I'm afraid)...

My benjamina cutting got the better of my worry-wartedness and I took it back out and put it in water. Just about every leaf has dried up even after cutting 'em in half,but on the bright side,I noticed white specks indicative of the start of water roots just this morning while inspecting it(and removing the dried up leaves). I've since moved it into a tiny little plastic pot which I filled in with pea gravel and returned it to the water which is high enough that the new roots can adapt to a less watery environment as the level drops. So far so good!

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Benjamina was pouting pretty good, eh? I'm sure it'll be just fine though, with you watching over!

Yeah, I have 9 children, and when people meet me face to face for the 1st time, I always get "you don't look like you have 9 kids"...whatever that means. Lol My kids (and everyone else I know) say I look like a Barbie doll. Which I'm not fond of. Lol

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Yeah, buying into the beauty myth is a scam.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well Bethany,I'm never so sure of myself,at least not at 100%. I'm doing what I can. I moved it again and it's been getting too much fiddling with from me so there is the risk that I will love it to death. It's no longer in the set up that I had it in...it's in one of my piggyback terrariums now-

Not the best shot in the world but you get the idea. Note how nearly all the leaves are just plain gone now. Assuming it hasn't been freaked out to the point of shock,I wanna believe that it will be recovering before too very long. They usually do after I put 'em in a tank and forget about them. The pea gravel at the floor of the tank needed more water,so that got addressed while I was in there. Serendipity.

Meanwhile back out front,the host tree is looking okay without the cutting nestled in with it...at least I'm getting used to it anyway-

Here's a closer look at the stump that got left-

...no real signs of new growth there,but it's still alive and should do something eventually...so long as I'm patient.

The next pic is blurry but is a close up of a tiny little red spot that will eventually be a new leader on the rubber tree. It's been slow in coming on,but it IS showing progress-

As far as looking like a barbie,you should get it in the kid's heads that they need to get you a dream house some day. ;)

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Haha, actually, Asleep, I need some dream vacations :)

Laticauda, I never really did think Barbie was the epitome of beauty, on the contrary, my daughter, with her exotic darker skin and dark, curly hair is what I always thought was the epitome of beauty, even years before she was born! Although, I will say that I got a laugh out of co-workers who called me the Barbie Doll Bit$# when I was their boss. :) I thought it was quite endearing. Hehehe

As far as Benjamina, I hear you, Asleep, that's my biggest problem...I tend to live my plants too much, too. Then, I go into recovery mode trying to fix what I overdid. I did that with my croton, which I decided to split into 2 because the leaves between the two didn't have enough room to grow, they were getting smooshed. So, I separated them and then the kids knocked over BOTH OF THEM because I put them in the wrong spot...I'm pretty sure they were knocked over more than once each...then I moved them outside. Direct sun, no leaves left...and believe it or not, there are sprouts coming out of every single node that was above a leaf...and they are tiny, but it LOOKS LIKE instead of growing a leaf from the nodes, each one is growing a branch with three new leaves to each branch! Could it be?

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

*not live my plants...love my plants... (autocorrect)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    8 years ago

Yes, Bethany, sometimes an unscheduled disaster is the perfect thing!

Looking good, Asleep!

Everyone is beautiful, unless they're an a-hole, in which case no amount of colorful spackle &/or face-goop can hide or fix that.

asleep_in_the_garden thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
  • asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Glad to hear the croton is all the better for what it's been through Bethany. :)

Thanks Purp! The benji cutting is outside at the moment,..which is to say that ummmm yeah....I'm still fiddling around with it. If I keep this up,I may just kill the poor thing. It was starting to get fungal growth in a few spots after a short while in the terrarium,so I got it the heck back out of there and put it out front in the container with the pea gravel and water I had it in before,but it DOES get a tad windy out there so I'm debating taking it back inside and setting it under a lamp near my bedroom window.

The wind out front is likely a touch harsh on the rubber tree cutting too. It dropped an older leaf sometime back(which was totally expected),but now the next oldest leaf is turning color on me so it's obviously going to be the next to go. My guess is that the cutting is losing too much water through transpiration and it doesn't have enough rootmass yet to compensate,..so in an effort to hold on to the water in it's living tissue,it's throwing off the older leaves.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Alternatively, it doesn't have the stored carbohydrates to support the plant's photosynthesis, also water uptake and transpiration.

Maybe this way is better because it can use the carbohydrates and chlorophyll in those leaves to put into root production?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Whatever's happening,..I gave it a little tug and it wasn't budging. Fairly certain that there are some stout little roots down there now...which after just over three weeks,I would hope there would be! :)

• laticauda
    8 years ago

YaaaaaaY

asleep_in_the_garden thanked laticauda
  • asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

LOL

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Hence the meaning of loving something to death...hahahha. I truly hope benjamina is on the upswing, what with roots seemingly growing.

Lol, I think I'm managing to kill a couple of spider plants with love...how, is beyond me...spider plants are supposed to be some of the hardiest plants! Everything else seems to be doing great, including the poor, maimed crotons, but these baby spiders...I guess they could be called teenagers...they've been up and down.

My mistake was taking them out of the bathroom. They were babies when I got them, just 2 babies in each pot, 4 leaves sprouting from each baby in 4" pots. They were growing great in my high humidity bathroom (traffic - showers, baths, etc. of 11 people) that gets a TON OF indirect southerly window sunshine. Then, after seeing an amazing spider plant outside at a greenhouse in direct sun, I moved them outside in the shade. From there, they met their demise. :( I really want a nice, full spider plant that's making babies so I can give them to friends and the kids teachers and stuff, but I just about killed them.

They're looking a tad better after brining them back inside with my other plants in the computer room, but I'm thinking they may need to go back to the bathroom, where they were thriving.

How can one kill a spider plant, while everything else is doing so good? Lol

• Bethany Cousins
    8 years ago

Make that 2 spider plants...

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Normally they just need enough water to sit in the shade during the heat for a few days. Check them daily. They may even need water daily outside with the heat.

My succulents are getting daily water. Outside.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

What just happened......pictures, text, everything......gone.....I may need to have a good cry.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

*hands you a tissue*

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Bethany...I sympathize with you as well...

I learned this year that rabbits eat spider plants. =/

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Which leads me to believe they may be edible in a survival situation as with Alsobia. (It was birds and not rabbits though.) Good source of vitamins and water, fiber...to keep you regular?

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Their visits were regular enough.

Damage was extensive before I noticed one up on tip toe taking down babies hanging from the one planter that was actually out of reach.

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The benji cutting lost all it's leaves and after getting a chunk of roots,regrew the new ones seen above.

The host tree has had the tallest growth pulled down with some hooks fashioned out of coat hangers.

Reintroduced the cutting this morning. :)

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

rooted these outside in plain old wood chips! What do you think of the collage?

These are now in dirt, same pot, same 3 plants; waiting their turn to come inside.

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

parent and baby! Top plant was trimmed last June and the cuttings are now as you see them. (both pictures are from today)

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Garden Gnomes seam to get into everything, LOL!

• asleep_in_the_garden
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Nice stuff Fred!