SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Shade or lawn ?

lucillle
8 years ago

I moved into a small house a few years back, and the mulberry tree in the front yard has grown. I also have a large oak on the other side of the yard.

The dense shade shields part of my home from the sun which can get fairly intense during the summer, helping the house be cooler and lowering my electric costs. And I harvest and eat mulberries in the spring, a real treat.

But the grass under the tree area has mostly died over the past two years because there is not enough light to sustain it, so I would have to plant shade ground cover this fall (it is too hot right now to plant anything and have it live).

I have to either have the tree removed and plant sod, or let the tree stay and plant some kind of shade ground cover. It is not a huge area so the difference in labor between mowing and trimming ground cover is minimal. (The area outside the front yard fence that is grass is mowed by a yard service).

What do you think?

Comments (48)

• Georgysmom
    8 years ago

Try the ground cover. If it doesn't work out to your satisfaction, you can always cut down the tree. Once you cut down the tree and decide that wasn't such a good idea, it will take thirty years to get a tree that size again.

lucillle thanked Georgysmom
  • socks
    8 years ago

How about just fill the area with bark, decomposed granite or other mulchy type ground cover? I think you'd be sorry to lose the tree.

lucillle thanked socks
  • Related Discussions

need recommendation for shade/drought tolerant lawn

Q

Comments (11)
    St Augustine is great for shade and should grow anywhere in SoCal. The house below has St Augustine, faces north, and has five live oak trees in the front. The yard down hill to the west has a big tree and the yard to the east has five live oaks. The only opening to the sky is the driveway to the left. If you have more shade than that, St Aug will survive but be a thin grass that allows some broadleaf weeds like henbit and dichondra in. Have you considered using dwarf monkey grass for the really shady areas? It does very well and looks like grass (but it isn't). It never needs mowing and takes darned little moisture. It spreads very slowly but consistently. Here is a picture to show roughly what it looks like invading St Aug. It is the dark green patch. 15 years ago it was about 1 square foot. Now it is more like 10 square feet. Slow spreader.
    ...See More

Shaded, dead lawn with clay-like soil

Q

Comments (2)
    Deep puddles indicate a very serious drainage issue. The grass will never be right until you get that fixed. You likely will need to cut a swale into the yard leading to a gutter for drainage. Or if that treed area is the lowest spot around, then forget about turf grass and reconsider growing swamp grass. Or you could bring in more soil to fill the low spot. The problem with that is you risk smothering the tree roots and bark eventually killing the trees. That soil looks sandy in your hand.
    ...See More

My 'shaded' bermuda lawn

Q

Comments (10)
    zymurgist First allow me to say it is way too late to be planting any warm season grass seed right now unless you live Down Under. Late Spring is the time to do this. Sod you can lay anytime of year, but again Spring is best. Now on to your questions: are those zoysia varieties that you listed in order of shade tolerance? Yes Are there seeded varieties that can handle some shade and are drought tolerant? Yes as a general rule for Zoysia they are drought tolerant and tolerate some light shade. However the seeded varieties will not perform in terms of shade tolerance as well as the ones I listed earlier. You have got all of Fall, Winter, and most of next Spring to do some home work. So use the time to make an educated decision based on your local conditions. For the warm season grasses Saint Augustine is king in terms of shade tolerance followed by Zoysia then Bermuda. However you will not find any SA seed, and if you do inform me I will make both of us very rich.
    ...See More

Deep shade lawn in Middle Tennessee

Q

Comments (3)
    Something else you could do, with the mondo, is get the stepping pavers/slabs (from like Lowes or Homedepot) and space them out in a grid. Let the mondo fill in the space in between them. Just search "mondo grass" on Google, and you should see, in the images, what I'm talking about. I prefer the ones with the shorter grass, verses the taller ones... Walking through the taller mondo is like walking through grass that needs to be mowed.
    ...See More
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

You will be horrified by the difference in temperature if you remove the tree. What is your general location? If you live in a climate with an extremely short summer season, it might be worth considering the removal of a tree.

If the bare soil is a problem, then a nice layer of mulch...wood chips, pine bark, pine straw, etc. solves the problem. It's also the single, most helpful thing we can do for any tree, as long as it's applied in a generous swath and not piled up on the trunk.

lucillle thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I love the suggestions of mulch instead of ground cover.

I live in Texas so it is very hot for a considerable part of the year, I think trying the mulch and keeping the tree is a great idea.

• katlan
    8 years ago

Shade all the way!! And I would mulch also. If you want color you could put any kind of lawn ornament/decoration under the tree. They could even be seasonal, maybe one of those flag holder things that have banners hanging on them, ugh, not thinking of the correct terms right now. You can change out the flag/banner for different seasons. Or make it really easy and don't put anything but mulch.

lucillle thanked katlan
  • socks
    8 years ago

Here in CA many people are removing lawn and replacing with mulch, maybe adding some drought tolerant plants. Some are installing spirals of drip watering hoses around trees. It's amazing to see this transformation in our neighborhoods. I think it looks nice. Mulch might need to be replaced occasionally. Should not be too many weeds.

lucillle thanked socks
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I checked out pictures of vinca minor, looks pretty.

• bob_cville
    8 years ago

Depending on how dense the shade is, a third option might be to keep the trees, ad seed the area beneath them with a more shade tolerant grass seed.

lucillle thanked bob_cville
    8 years ago

In Texas, she won't have the options of a seed grown, shade tolerant grass species. Warm-season grass species are not going to thrive in shade, even those that are advertised as tolerant.

• chisue
    8 years ago

Keep the trees! We are nuts about our old sycamore and our Century elm, spending lots to keep both trimmed and to treat the elm against disease.

lucillle thanked chisue
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

Keep the tree. If you don't like the brown area under the tree because of the way the house looks as a result, how about a bench under the tree with planters that have hostas in them. Hostas are great shade loving plants.

lucillle thanked blfenton
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've tried hostas, they do not do well for me. I like the idea of vinca minor, may wait until fall, it is too hot to plant now.

• arkansas girl
    8 years ago

Why in the world would anyone even contemplate cutting down a tree(especially in HOT Texas) because the grass doesn't grow, that way of thinking makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever! Keep a tree, who cares about the grass? I sure don't!

• roxanna
    8 years ago

hostas do well in pots, I understand -- see over at the Hosta Forum. Many people there grow them in pots -- watering would be essential in your climate!

lucillle thanked roxanna
  • blfenton
    8 years ago

I have vinca minor growing under a cedar tree under an overhang. You just have to watch out and keep track of the trailing stems. They root at nodes and can become invasive.

lucillle thanked blfenton
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

I know there are people who prefer having a "living in the woods" vibe but I'm not one of them. As a result of taking out a bunch of trees, some too close to the house, the resulting light and air and panorama views from our hillside location have provided a big payoff. Also, in this area, having trees too close to the house is a fire danger. But alas, having a lawn is not currently an option for us.

My vote would be to take out the tree and enjoy the brighter yard.

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    8 years ago

Keep the trees. Around here, people will "lace" their trees, cutting out some of the branches so that some light gets through to the soil below. Not sure if you would want to do that in hot Texas.

lucillle thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

Our front yard is all sun, no shade but in the back yard we have one tree and it is getting big and does provide lots of shade if you can walk under it. But the middle of the back yard is sunny. After sitting at my daughter in laws house yesterday where she had tons of trees in both the front yard and back, I thought to myself how pleasant it was seeing the birds and butterflies flying around. The mosquitos not so much. Sadly she moved yesterday.

lucillle thanked grandmamary_ga
  • kathyg_in_mi
    8 years ago

Call an arborist. They can trim some of the tree without harming it to allow more light to hit the soil. It's worth a call.

lucillle thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • maxmom96
    8 years ago

I have a large tree in the front yard of my garden home. Thankfully, I'm not responsible for the upkeep of the front yard. The tree offers much needed shade here in Central Alabama. The homeowners association has scratched their chins trying to find some grass that would grow under the tree, to no avail. The mulched area keeps getting larger and larger, and what little grass there is has bald spots and has pretty wispy-looking grass, but I do love that tree! I keep holding my breath when we get a bad storm. Will it fall on me? I have pine trees on two sides of my house also.

The one thing I would think about if you get a ground cover: I've been told that it is a great place for snakes to hang out. I imagine in Texas there might be a few. I sure see them often around my house.

lucillle thanked maxmom96
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I like snakes and reptiles and respect the great job they do along with frogs and toads, eating insects. However, you make a good point, I would probably avoid walking on the ground cover 'patch'.

The intended ground cover area is not large and is bisected by a concrete walk, I could put another walk over to the swing.

• nanny98
    8 years ago

We put in artificial grass in our front yard...5-6 years ago. Lawn service kept getting more expensive and we were traveling south for most of the winter, so it made sense to us. No regrets. It was expensive, but I love it...it is a good surface to walk on with my walker; backyard grass is lumpy...brown patches today, and not pretty at all. Our front 'grass' always looks good! The tree in the middle of it is a pain... crab apple...that sheds leaves, seeds that try to take root, but it IS very pleasant shade, so we put up with it.

lucillle thanked nanny98
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    8 years ago

The only snakes that I've found in my ground covers here in Texas are Earth Snakes,

Virginia striatula. I've held them and not been bitten and they are very small

lucillle thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I think for their sake as well as mine, it would be best for me not to step on any critters hidden under the foliage.

• OklaMoni
    8 years ago

I vote for shade. To many options on what to plant in shade... to get rid of a tree.

lucillle thanked OklaMoni
  • arkansas girl
    8 years ago

I AM a tree hugger! I love trees and will literally cry when I see someone having a tree cut down. I mean, if it's rotten or too close to the house...well sure, it needs to come out. But to cut down a tree for no good reason, makes me fighting mad! We will lose this planet soon due to deforestation...it's not if it's when! I believe it's sooner rather than later.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"makes me fighting mad!"

Which of course, will influence no one.

You CAN be a good influence and save trees, and I hope you do, because it is a good cause.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

When you put down mulch under the tree, be sure to leave a buffer next to the trunk so the buggies don't start boring and so that the roots "breathe" a bit.

lucillle thanked sjerin
  • arkansas girl
    8 years ago

Yeah, don't put down a mulch volcano as they were saying on Victory Garden one episode. It will kill a tree.

• Adella Bedella
    8 years ago

I love to eat mulberries, but not a fan of all the birds or their mulberry excrement. I'd save the tree if you like it and it is in an ok place. Depending on how the tree is situated near the house, you could do some really nice landscaping. You don't have to grow flowers. You could have fun with rocks and lawn ornaments. Or you could make a little patio area.

lucillle thanked Adella Bedella
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 years ago

Deforestation is concerning but I don't think the term or the problem refers to tree work in a residential neighborhood

lucillle thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • wantoretire_did
    8 years ago

Another reason to "lace" a tree is to help some wind go through it, opposed to it blowing down because of too much resistance.

lucillle thanked wantoretire_did
    8 years ago

The term is crown thinning, and requires a professional touch. Leaving stubs or 'lion tailing' are two very detrimental pruning practices that can permanently damage a tree, leading to dangerous results.

Lucille, if you truly value your tree, please think about protecting that root/soil system under it. I wouldn't do a lot of planting or creating walkways over the roots. Healthy roots=happy tree.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Rhizo

I was contemplating a bark mulch path area and some mulch under the tree and two patches of ground cover. When I look at most trees whether in suburban yards or in the forest, most have some sort of ground cover ranging from grass to random wild plants, and seem none the worse for it?

I'm grateful that no one has criticized my tree. It was already there, much smaller, when I purchased the home; there are those who consider mulberry trees invasive and dislike them.

I myself love eating the mulberries in the spring.

• sylviatexas1
    8 years ago

What part of Texas are you in? I'd be happy to give you a bunch of vinca minor this autumn.

I'm in northern Ellis County, just south of Dallas County.

lucillle thanked sylviatexas1
  • susanjf_gw
    8 years ago

do you have any "natural ground cover"? check at the nursery...snidely? sounds as if you're on the west coast...and under the current drought...I can't imagine what our old house in san diego looks like now...the lawn was hard to keep in the 80's...

lucillle thanked susanjf_gw
  • lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sylvia thank you for your kind offer, I live near Houston. I may check out the local garden club, they may have trimmings as well.

I do have 'something' that has made a flat patch of cover about 2 feet in diameter, I don't know what it is, near one of the roses, it looks almost like a flat version of a bamboo, I've just been keeping an eye on it.

Depending on how large this tree gets I may have to move the roses I planted near the picket fence.

I am grateful for the tree and for the other one, a large oak. Was chatting with my son this morning and his electric bill was over $200, he lives in a large old house he rents in Houston; so I was giving hime some ideas on how to save energy. My electric bill this month was around $70, I'm sure the trees helped.

• kathleen44
    8 years ago

Blast the lawns, they aren't needed, people waste water huge amounts watering them and not using them.

Trees so many are so good to birds, and all kinds of things, why people just chop down trees is beyond me. And brush too, grrrr, don't like noise of birds they complain but they love the loud music and vehicles. And also people need to think when they do have to take a tree down as its unsafe or rotten, just cut it down a bit, leave it for the birds like woodpeckers for bugs,etc. Lots animals use trees for many reasons. I wish people that hated wildlife go and live in buildings with nothing but noise all around them like they say they love.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    8 years ago

"And also people need to think when they do have to take a tree down as its unsafe or rotten, just cut it down a bit,"

When a tree is unsafe or rotten, it should be trimmed, no matter how much, so that it is no longer unsafe. I agree that might not mean the entire tree has to go, but a token trim is not always enough. One might be liable for a tree falling and causing harm, that one knows is unsafe.

• jeff-1010
    8 years ago

Save the tree. It could be the tree is starving the grass of water and nutrients. Maybe a hardy grass, or an attractive mulch.

8 years ago

Lucille, you've got a good head on your shoulders. If you can, get that mulch down as soon as you can. Your tree will benefit enormously over the summer.

• sjerin
    8 years ago

I once had a friend who cut down every tree in her yard because she didn't like the "mess" it created. Made me sick at heart.

• jemdandy
    8 years ago

Keep the tree and try some of the suggestions above. If the flower, impatient, will grow at our location, try surrounding the tree with a bed of these. If plantings do not work, surround the tree with wood chips (mulch). Make sure that any wood product does not contain walnut bark or wood. Walnuts produce an enzyme that prohibits germination of competing woody plants and can kill fruit bearing trees.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

This is the Houston Texas area it's HOT here every bit of shade is a blessing! I cry when one of my trees is cut down and only because they have died are they cut. We lost several to the horrible drought a few years ago. I would never cut a tree if it's serving a purpose, grass is not a must have. On the news recently they were showing how many people are going with artificial grass now because of the heat and water concerns. I have several ground covers here that work very well under the big trees. Go to the local plant store a real nursery, and ask their opinions on good ground cover for your area and the shade, that will give you the best type for your specific needs. Look into Asiatic Jasmine I have it growing like crazy under my trees and I have never watered it. You can even go with a more succulent and cactus garden that is very drought tolerant. They are beautiful and many more business parks and shopping centers are going that direction. Using mulch and stone in those areas. Create an area of large planters there, you can water them or set up drip irrigation to each planter. It doesn't have to be grass there's a lot of good options. The berries are feeding the birds and you! Those that don't live here and have not experienced the summers here don't know how extremely beneficial the trees are. I can't imagine how much my electric bill would be without the trees we have here. I do know that my Dallas house had one large tree in the back yard not near the house, and my bill was over $700 in the summer months, here my house is much bigger has more glass but has large trees all around it and my bill is in the $100 - 200 range most of the summer. Both houses had two zoned AC units.

No way would be giving up trees. Some idiot bought a house on our street and before even moving in had a crew come cut down the trees! We are talking huge oaks, this once was a large Plantation. We were all just sick about it. If you want a home with no trees buy one in a subdivision that has no trees don't come to a well established neighborhood with 100 yr old trees and massacre them. Now the idiots are complaining about how hot it is here well duh!

The oaks form a tunnel you drive through when you turn on the street and you can actually see the temperature guage on the car dropping as you drive down the street. It was one of the things we noticed and loved about our area. It reminded me of Oak Alley.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    8 years ago

That's a beautiful area of Asiatic jasmine in a shady location under trees. It can be mowed to height and trimmed with a weed eater.

• marilyn_c
    8 years ago

I'd leave the tree. Mulberries attract a number of birds. In particular when they are migrating through in the spring, indigo buntings love them. I planted a mulberry tree just for them.