SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aaronheimes

Field Tests with Aqua Camel with Jalepenos

Aaron Heimes
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Mediums Test: The purpose this test is to conclude which mediums work best in the Aqua Camel and how plants perform when nutrients are added to the reservoir. A local hydroponic store was kind enough to give some space for the tests since I had ran out of room in my home testing area. The following mediums were tested:

· Happy Frog potting soil

· Ocean Forest soil

· Roots Organic coco based soil

· Botanicare Ready-Grow coco based soil, top fed weekly

· Botanicare Ready-Grow coco based soil with nutrients in the reservoir

· Royal Gold Tupur

· Hydroton (inert clay balls) with nutrients in reservoir

· The nutrients were General Hydroponics Flora series, Gro and Micro at regular strength along with GH Calimagic.

The tests included the following observations and measurements:· Ambient temperature and humidity· Medium surface temperature· Root zone temperature· Height· Leaf surface area (qualitative)· Moisture readings 3” from surface and in root zone· Overall health of plant and roots at the end of the experiment.

Testing environment: Testing area was in grow shop’s plant area under one vegetative spectrum LED and a 400 watt MH HID light. No ventilation or fans. Very controlled environment. Temperatures fluctuated from 75-83 degree Fahrenheit with an average temperature of 78 degrees. Humidity averaged 37.5%.

Measurements and results:

This test was very conclusive. The following measurements and observations were noted from the tests:

· Happy Frog and Ocean Forest were the best performing soils. Moisture readings from the root zone settled in from 3-4, perfect levels.="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· Hydroponically grown plant performed excellent also.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· No issues of root rot or other in the Happy Frog, Ocean Forest, hydroponic or Royal Gold Tupur plants.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· The coco coir medium is not recommended. It wicks too much and some of the roots were showing signs of root rot.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· The plants with nutrients performed better than plants without and there was no residues from the nutrient solutions. Soluable, non-organic nutrients are recommended.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· Vertical growth was from 2 inches on the coco plants to 6-7 inches in the other mediums.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· Leaf surface area was extremely impressive. Very rapid, robust growth. See pictures below.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· Water was added to one reservoir, the others did not receive any water besides what was delivered from the Aqua Camel’s reservoir.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· None of the plants showed any nutrient deficiencies.="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

· There were no signs of insects or molds in inspection of soil after pulling plants.="msolistparagraphcxsplast">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

Conclusions: The Aqua Camel works best with potting soils such as Happy Frog or Ocean Forest. Also, it works great hydroponically and with soluable, non-organic nutrients in the reservoir. All but one of the reservoirs needed additional water by the end of the tests. Coco coir is not a recommended medium for the Aqua Camel. It seems the wicking effect of the coco pulls too much water into the growing area, thus root zone. The growth of the plants, especially in the Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and hydroton was nothing short of exceptional and robust. Below are side by side shots of before at the end of testing. The roots of the Happy Frog, Ocean Forest and hydroponically grown plants were vibrant, white and had no signs of ailments.

Personal note: I have been growing for 15 years and have to say this was the easiest growing method I’ve used thus far. The results were consistent and non-problematic. I visited the plants every five days, took measurements and was on my way. I had more time to inspect the plants, do a bit of manicuring and didn’t have to worry when I left town during the experiments. This is the real deal, kudos to the inventor.

="msolistparagraphcxsplast">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspmiddle">="msolistparagraphcxspfirst">

For play by play visit my Tumblr and see results below. http://adawgsmultiverse.tumblr.com/

Comment

Sponsored