SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salonva

Can you suggest throw pillows to go with this?

salonva
3 years ago

I have had this pattern pillow for a few years now, and I really like them. They sit on navy couches and they need a little company. I don't want to go overboard with pillows, but I would like to add maybe 2 or 3 ( this is for a sofa and loveseat). I have a heavy hand of blues and white, and love color/I think I would like to have a little bit more lighter colors with it.

I think my taste is best described as transitional//traditional.

Your mission, should you accept- is to suggest some nice pillow to coordinate. Looking forward to your suggestions. thanks

Comments (48)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Do you have a picture of your space? Aside from the navy sofa, what else is in the room? Just generally speaking, another coordinating color could be lime green.

salonva thanked freedomplace1
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

You’ll need to post more photos so we can see the whole room.

salonva thanked Amanda Smith
  • Related Discussions

Area rug and throw pillow suggestions please?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have a tray for the ottoman that acts as a coffee table. Lighting I have no idea maybe another floor lamp somwhere. There is no overhead lighting here. I have been looking at shag rugs for two mos and am leaning towards light grey or silver but still not sure. Been looking for vibrant orangey red pillows but havent found the exact shade I like yet. Thank you for your input.
    ...See More

HELP! What color throw pillows can i use to add color?

Q

Comments (9)
    I love your rug! There are a couple of different color throw pillows that would go with your rug. I think navy would go nicely with the rug, but like you said, navy doesn’t really add color to your room. There are a couple of other colors that would also go with the rug: orange, red, off white, or white. I’m not really a fan of orange in living spaces as a main pop of color, especially with your beige couch, but it’s all up to you. Red would be a nice pop of color, you just have to be careful that it doesn’t clash with anything. Off white may go well with the rug, but it would not go well with your couch. Like navy, white would not give you a pop of color, and like off white, it would not go well with your couch.
    ...See More

Pillow inserts for throw pillows

Q

Comments (32)
    I have had my down pillow inserts for years and years. I used to find them in discount stores like TjMa x, Ross, Marshalls and such in the sale sections. They usually have hideously ugly pillow covers so you can get them cheap. I would buy the ones with zip covers for easy removal. I always keep a little tape measure in my purse to check for standard sizes. You can buy them used at garage sales if the place looks clean. Put the down inserts in a home dry cleaning bag with cleaner cloth, use med high heat for 20 to 30 min.
    ...See More

suggestions needed for throw pillows

Q

Comments (6)
    There is a concept of value contrast with colors- and also something like clear vs muddy or soft colors. the rug to me looks high- contrast and also more vino, clear colors rather than softened colors. So I would be looking for pillows covers that echo those features. It doesn’t mean the entire pillow or print has to be high contrast, deep and clear, because there could be some prints that include softer or more muted colors , as long as there are some parts or bits in the print or trim that reference the rug, some of the strong red, blue, black, or white. So if you actually wanted to tone down the rest of decor you might look for that type of combination specifically.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

sorry, the one I found was not lighter

salonva thanked MDLN
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

@mdln - with all due respect, that is super unhelpful. OP says she would like to go lighter and have some color. At this point, we don't know what other colors, etc., that she has in the space. So can't really advise well. To tell her that she cannot go lighter is inaccurate and unhelpful.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some photos from shortly after we moved in- to show the space.

I will try to add some tomorrow that are a bit more current and will be in daylight.

Fireplace above

I have since added a tv console

Again I will try to add better pix in the morning.

Yes, carpet is being replaced.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So I do have lots of artwork and pottery with pretty vibrant colors. Some of which can be seen on fireplace. I guess tomorrow morning I will be busy taking more photos. (this is way past my bedtime).:)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Hi salonva. Why don't you pull a color from the art over sofa? I see yellow/gold, maybe coral, teal.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

this has just a bit of light --

Pom Pom Pillow, Green, Navy, Taupe, Multi Color, 12"x20" · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

The lines in this pillow could be a result of "connect the dots" game [of your sofa]... idk that that's funny...

Surya Skyline 18x18x0.25 Green Pillow Cover · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Zoe Boho Handcrafted Fabric Pillow Cover, Set of 2 · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok here are my non glammed up photos of the room.

and

and the view sitting on the long sofa

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tried to edit to combine- but it's one of those days.............

It is not such a dark room (except for the couches) - anyway the other floral pillows are from about 35 years ago and while lovely they do nothing and are not my thing anymore. I just haven't removed them. The colors would be ok, which is indigo, a pale violet and pale shrimp and camel. Preference wise maybe it's just the pattern that doesn't speak to me anymore.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Lovely room! I think this one would look nice in there:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/747821637/green-blue-floral-throw-pillow-cover?ref=related-2&frs=1

Love the vibrancy of these:

You said two or three pillows, so maybe for a third accent pillow (to go with whichever two matching ones you get), throw in a striped one ..

Stripes

salonva thanked Jilly
  • Maureen
    3 years ago

I’m not fond of the navy cushions to begin with, as they are making the couch feel so dark. Lighter cushions will also better compliment other components in room. Different sizes and shapes are also important.

Marshalls And HomeSense have great choices at very good prices. The trick is to bring home a whole bunch and test them out until you get the right combination.

salonva thanked Maureen
  • User
    3 years ago

You didn’t ask, but may i toss out some ideas for interesting rugs for jus under you glass table and suggest two white ceramic lamps for the 2 blue ones?

Safavieh Braided Collection BRD401 Rug, Ivory/Dark Brown, 6' Round · More Info

Safavieh Soho soh724a Rug, Turquoise/Yellow, 3'6"x5'6" · More Info

Safavieh Chelsea hk73a Rug, Ivory/Burgundy, 5'6"x5'6" Round · More Info

Safavieh Chelsea hk11h Rug, Ivory/Dark Brown, 5'6"x5'6" Round · More Info

Safavieh Soho Soh853A Floral Rug, Grey/Blue, 3'6"x5'6" · More Info

Abani Mesa MES130A Rug 4'x6' Beige Rug · More Info

salonva thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

29" Metal Standing Ring Linen Shade Acrylic Gold Finish On-Off Switch Table Lamp · More Info

salonva thanked User
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Love the dotted fabric on your sofas

I know this one is expensive

still posting to see whether you like it/the concept of bigger print/botanical/color combo/something:) -or should we look in a different direction

it has several other colorways too, couple of them different blues-more teal, or combo of blue and purple that is subtle and I really like as well. Here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/560162405/one-or-both-sides-thibaut-corneila-aqua?ref=rv_more-2-6&frs=1

now this one here is too bright? I was inspired by your art...I see similar colors, and ..I don't know..maybe vibe?https://www.anthropologie.com/shop/fringed-jules-pillow?category=throw-pillows&color=060&type=STANDARD&size=20%22%20X%2020%22&quantity=1

like the dots but I wonder if the repeat is not too much like the one you love

https://www.etsy.com/listing/613697903/miguel-azure-blue-pillow-cover-18x18?ref=shop_home_active_28&crt=1

I see that you love porcelaine..I don't know how much is too much, but one can play with it further a bit

https://www.etsy.com/listing/657194136/haru-in-bluebell-quick-ship-chinoiserie?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=blue+pillow+porcelaine+pattern&ref=sr_gallery-1-9&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/287016765/willow-pattern-14-16-18-20-or-26-pillow?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=blue+pillow+porcelaine+pattern&ref=sr_gallery-1-10&organic_search_click=1

or:

https://www.amara.com/us/products/latimer-cushion-teal-45x45cm

salonva thanked aprilneverends
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

The camel color of the rug seems to coming out of left field... it needs to be tied in. Look for camel pillows. A blue and camel pattern would be ideal.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Carper is being changed in my understanding.

But i love camel too..what's good about throw pillows, one can really choose almost as many colors as they want to, depending on their concept/personal tolerance. I'm always spreading out, color wise, at least in my current place.

others are able to keep to a tighter pallette which can be very beautiful if to introduce different sizes and textures as mentioned upthread

I really love that tree design ital mover posted, on the rug Abani Mesa (one of the pillows I found has similar trees..)-but as we don't know yet what floors will be...

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all the feedback--- just some initial points. It's helpful to see the various sizes and patterns mixed because that does look nice.

I do like the ones I have with the bolder white pattern, but if you do think they are not helping I can certainly put them with our basement sofa. I am consistent if nothing else, and have pretty much replaced my navy sofas with YES more navy sofas so whatever I get, will have to play really nicely with navy. Do you think "it is not doing me any favors"?

I am receptive to all suggestions really, and would not be averse to changing the lamps. Someone gave them to me about 25 years ago and with the new shades, I find them ok.

That lamp is beautiful @User but maybe a tad too modern for me.

I am a very big MarshallsTJHOMEGOODSHOMESENSE shopper and i do scour their pillows but just don't see anything at all that calls my name. Also, most of theirs are really oversized and I don't care for them in my space. They look great in everyone else's but not for me so far. (don't get me wrong would love to find one there).

Once I figure out flooring I wil definitely be looking for a rug. The carpet that is here now is really not attractive- but it was here when we moved in and we then got a puppy ( who is also in the photos) and I thought it was not the time to get new flooring. Anyway he is now 2/1/2 and really does not have accidents any more at all. (he does slobber and drool big time but that's it). Probably looking for LVP with area rugs.

As far as other colors, my pottery and art has just about everything- reds, rusts, yellow, green. I always favored the reds and still love them but have a new appreciation for some green.

@aprilneverends I like all the pillows you suggested. The anthro one is not too bold and I like that- but the colorway is just a bit off.

Now for strangeness-there was another post with a really pretty pillow suggested by Jinxx and I don't see it now when I was looking to do the @ function. Anyway it was really pretty and reasonable and I am confused. @jinx

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Is my post not showing up? I can see it still. I posted 4 pillows ... one was an Amaz-on link which sometimes is a trigger word here. I’ll take out the link up there and see if that works.

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

Agree about Anthro pillow-the thing is, sometimes I fall in love with a pillow(which is often flora or fauna))-and even though it is slightly dfifferent colorway, I intoduce more of it in the room to make a pillow work:) I know, it's kinda upside down way to do things, but happenned to me couple times. Usually also signals to me that I'm ready to have more of a color such and such.

But there is so much choice once one loves blue, you're really restricted only by budget I'd say. I really tried to keep to somewhat sane prices, because.. just so many beautiful things. Whether in terms of texture, or print, or..you name it.

i tried to search jinx's activity, and you're right-something wrong with the website because it shows nothing. Hopefully she'll see your post soon.

Red and green will be beautiful with navy. actually what is not beautiful with navy? I need to think...because nothing comes to my mind yet.

It's more of proportion question, I think. And this partially depends on you, and partially on the house

(say I really try to keep to tighter pallette in our abroad apartment-not my thing, but apartment dictates it somewhat, so I comply. You have much more freedom, with these nice windows, and other great elements, you decide.)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Can y’all see my post now? I took out the trigger word ... I think. :)

salonva thanked Jilly
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yay Now I do! It was so strange because it had one pillow and I liked it. It was only that pillow and I even thought to myself, it's good, it's reasonable price, I should go for it. ( of course, I didn't save the link or anything and when I went to do my reply, it was not there. I am glad it came back! twilight zone houzz).

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

No luck fot me:( I can see only one post from 2010..

So I can't see the pillow((

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Question about sofa - of the warm colors of pottery, etc., which color seems nice .. say you sit it on the sofa?

here are the others: indigo, a pale violet, pale shrimp and camel. I kinda laugh how many keep items for a loongg time - 35 years - we keep mother's handmade footstool, etc.. you just do!

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

If a pillow had a shape you liked, that seemed to strengthen your art's shapes -- ? and add to it.

Starburst Pillow 18x18x4, Polyester Fill · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Muted / faded / bohemian ?

Surya Ibiza IBZ-002 18"x18" Pillow Cover, Beige/Purple/Lilac/Pink/Green · More Info

Surya Dayna 18" x 18" Cotton Pillow Cover DYA001-1818 · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Could one of these be a blend for others' pillow posts, or a current floral of yours.

Phoebe PHB-003 14"x32" Pillow Cover · More Info

Surya Astoria Dark Blue Pillow Shell With Polyester Insert 16"H X 24"W · More Info

Surya Waffle WFL-003 Pillow Cover,18" x 18" · More Info

Surya Waffle WFL-001 18"x18" Pillow Cover, Dark Green/Emerald · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

A bit old world, and natural as though burlap color, or wood stain.

Surya Litavka 18x18x4 Tan Pillow Kit Square · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Looking at seems Jerusalem art, and it's wonderful. :)

possibly one pillow solid burnt orange / or faded boho textured?

Solid Color Decorative Pillow, Pumpkin, 16"x16" · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I didn't mean to go missing in action yesterday but I plain and simple konked out and of course got up today at around 3:30 am ......made myself stay in bed until 4 and then got up.

Jinx your post is back and I see it again today - hallelujah.

I still like the first etsy one, and of the bold ones, the first one is a tad too traditional looking but the 2nd one, although I may not love it, it seems to have more life and really seems to mimic the art I have. I am not sure if that is always a good thing or sometimes maybe too matchy matchy?

Everdebz I am thrilled that you are tossing out ideas .

To answer your question from yesterday, I really do love all the colors. I have always gravitated towards the red,burgundy rose with navy but that's just the past, and I can happily embrace greens and oranges and yellows and teals. When I think of green though I am thinking of a livelier green.

And yes that is Israeli /Jerusalem art. I have lots of the pottery s well as some from Spain and Italy and Poland and Romania and TJMaxx.

So now help me out. Are the pillows I originally included not doing me a favor or will they work with the new proposed additions? As I said, I really like the style and impact, but I could still use them elsewhere if it is not helping this room.

Also regarding the 35 year old pillows --- they were in our previous living rooms- which were so rarely used that they didn't even get abused or misused so they are virtually brand new 35 years old. They were custom way back when so maybe that's why I still have them. They owe me nothing so I might just use the inserts .They just got placed in this room, and have lived here for a while but I don't think they enhance anything so they are now moved out of the room. Sometimes taking photos really does help see things!

Well we are having snow and ice again today, so I should be very much home and online. Other than reading and maybe trying to exercise I should be here.:)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

With the color and pattern on the pillow in question, plus the sofa (and I really like the style/pattern on your sofas, btw) I think I'd keep it simple with that pillow, let it be the star - and add one solid pillow, maybe in a silk, also in a shade of blue. Or for another color, maybe a tan/gold, also in silk, that picks up on some of those colors from your art + current rug. If I wanted to add a bit more pattern, I'd maybe throw in one lumbar. Something like this velvet might be nice.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/dara-printed-lumbar-pillow-cover/?cm_src=AutoRACRel

Wiith the style of your pillow, sofas, art, etc., this is how I would go. Any number of ways you can go, though. Depends on what you like.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very interesting, and thank you again - good food for thought here. I don't mean to make more of it than it is, ( as some of our pros would say-i"it's just pillows" but I think it can really enhance.

I kind of do like the last lumbar one with the orange. Hard to tell one pic looks kind of drab but the other has some vibrancy in it . I suppose if I went for it I could return at PB if it's not a good color or doesn't do anything.

I thought I would also mention that I have long considered painting the wall behind the console as it is a lot of white on white or cream. Back when I first moved in and was looking for ideas, I didn't have the console but several people suggested a white /or light console and painting that wall a deep color ( yeah, you guessed it - likely blue. So there's that. I should have mentioned it, but it's not set in stone at all.

For the flooring, I am most likely going to go with a wood look lvp and would then be looking for area rug. I do like the idea of some color under the glass table. I am definitely going to get some sort of area rug then and it might not have to be super big .

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Any pros here who say, "It's just pillows" probably have different view - but from my perspective, the details can be everything.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

And yes, if you like that lumbar, just get one and see how it works for you. 👍. You can always return.. And actually, I think I would just go for one of those lumbars, anyway. It's a unique style/pattern, and would lose a lot of that uniqueness, if you brought in a bunch of them. Even two could be too much. So I would either just use that lumbar on one sofa, and just the other pillows on other. Or combine with a different lumbar on second sofa, or a throw on second sofa, that type of thing.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

About pillow -- I wonder how detailed and intricate your pottery is -- if you think simpler fabric or solid color would allow more attention for your items, that's ok. I just 'love' pillows... if you want to add solid pottery or item next to detailed pottery, that's another option, another area in the room? Show us !?

salonva thanked everdebz
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You asked, and here it is.So clearly, not the best photographer but here are closer up pix. I don't mean to say that my pottery collection is anything more than what I love and enjoy seeing around me.

And then the wall separating the kitchen from living room, is this bookcase ( it's the end of the fridge) and I have more pottery there (grandkids books on the bottom).

I have more pottery still scattered around and even some display in the kitchen..

I am torn about the lumbar freedom suggested. On the one hand it looks like it would just "belong" but on the other hand I can't tell if it's going to look drab or have life to it. I did check and of course the PB very near me does not have it but one that is not too far does have it. maybe if the weather lets up next week I will take a ride and see. I still feel iike I want at least 2 other pillows. Maybe 3....

• everdebz
    3 years ago

From a little view of a lovely house, I think the area// the sofa particularly doesn't need pattern. It'd be different if you had abstracts around. If you crave, what about a textured lamp base? but it's your choice course.

Editing: get thee to a craft store, buy the right paint, and watercolory-imitate a pattern on lamp base or shade [from pottery]... haha? :)

salonva thanked everdebz
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

What one would consider "drab" another might consider "subtle" or "understated.". And really, it's all a matter of taste, style and perspective. So you should go with what you like! :)

if you are really " torn" about the lumbar pillow, I would say definitely forget that one. It's probably not for you. As far as the other pillows, as I said in my comment above, I think solid colors could work well with the patterned pillows you are asking about, and I offered some color suggestions. I also do think a silk would work well with the texture of your sofas etc; but again, all a matter of taste.

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Late to the party and might have been said already, but your print over the sofa is so pretty and fresh......try for a pair of larger or smaller set of pillows in a prominent color in the print to contrast with the existing blue pillows, and a lumbar pillow in turquoise to relate to your lamp.

salonva thanked Susan Davis
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

There are many to choose from - you said violet - ?

By The Sea Karla Gerard Decorative Pillow Cover Handembroidered Wool, 18x18" · More Info

Surya Ibiza IBZ-002 18"x18" Pillow Cover, Beige/Purple/Lilac/Pink/Green · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • aprilneverends
    3 years ago

I just wanted to say that I love Iznik plate and deers plate))

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Resembles little designs on your plates

Bleu de France Tree of Life Decorative Pillow Cover Cotton Applique Work 18x18" · More Info

Lavender Tree of Life Decorative Pillow Cover Cotton Applique Work 18x18" · More Info

salonva thanked everdebz
  • salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I didn't get notifications of an of the comments after I added the photos closeup.

I also saw the the pic of the bookcase with additional pretties did not seem to get posted ( though I swear it was there last night)

Plus more scattered about.

I guess this is what makes the world go round. The big glass vase is not showing up but it is murano glass in crimson and deep blue.

I really have been given some great ideas. I was hoping one would pull at me when in honesty, probably about 6 of the suggestions have resonated.

• salonva
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow April- you are good! I didn't know the term Iznik but you are 100% correct. Very good friends brought this back to us from Turkey. The deer plate on the other hand and most of the other stuff is from Armenian section in Jerusalem. This just reminded me that I had another very simple vase which I claimed from a summer there, and although I had it for many years I suddenly wonder what happened to it.

I love the colors and patterns of these, and I love that they have meaning and memories for me. (now trying to remember the missing vase).

• aprilneverends
    3 years ago

It's not that I'm good, it's just that I'm from Jerusalem))(amongst other places I'm from)

Iznik is one of my favorite patterns ever, so at some point, I learned the name already. It is indeed Turkish, and I on't have it, but I dream of having it. I even found sconces with Iznik pattern on them on Etsy, I just don't need them but got very excited that somebody actually makes them(also in Turkey, I think)

I'm into patterns-ceramics, fabrics, you name it. I have too many, and am in love with many more.

We also have a small plate from Armenian quarter-exactly same flower design. My DH surprizingly loves ceramics and dishes, so it's something we share and love hunting together. Our tradition is to always bring something from Jerusalem, and something in 99, 9% is ceramics.

I also have a corner dedicated to all the art I bought in Israel during the years. I missed on "my" perfect Jerusalem piece many years ago, I though it was too expensive-and I'm looking in vain since then. Everything I love to the point of no return, is much more expensive than that painting was..

I love your collections, and wouldn't hesitate to borrow from them whatever you might like to borrow. Whether color, or pattern, or idea, or just a hint on something that is hard to describe but is there-and only you might know what it is.