SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Zucchini plants -- bad powdery mildew riot Zone 5a New England

petalique
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The purchased zucchini plants started off so promising. Then came the humidity and I goofed and watered from overhead. I sprayed well will NEEM oil, but the next day, it was very humid and the white powdery mildew (PM) leaped in a day. I got some plastic tubes and have been watering with liter bottles into the ground. Meanwhile, the PM is devouring the zuke plants. I just bought some Immunox without insecticide. Can I mix a 2 gallon pump sprayer and treat the zucchini and the nearby acorn and butternut squash? Can I do this at 1 PM on a sunny day (now), or is there something I have to do first?

Or, should I just tear out the zucchini plants, and trash bin (not compost) the plants before the PM destroys the nearby acorn and butternut squash?

Uphill, at a neighbor's garden with no water, I planted butternut squash and I think a couple of zucchini and yellow squash. She doesn't use or want to use "chemicals" like pesticides and herbicides, but thinks that I can use the Immunox as it is "only" a fungicide. So my question for my squashes at her place is this: is it "organic" green like?

As for the not watering. I would have to hand lug and hand water. I lived in the Amherst, MA area years ago and my landlady, a long-time dairy farmer and her husband had their vegetable garden a hundred yards from their house. No water. She grew all sorts of tomatoes, beans, squash, broccoli and so on. I grew a whole row of wonderful sweet basil. She told me that unless there is a severe and prolonged drought, there wasn't a need to water. That the plants would develop deep roots. Watering could just spoil that and then I'd have to keep watering or the vegetables would die. They've gardened like this for decades. That's why I decided to not lug water for the squash plants at my neighbors. I set the plants in just before a soaking rain was going to arrive. We put a bit of composted manure with each squash plant. A few days later I put a bit of Epsoma Garden Tone around the plants, into the soil. It rained after that. She gets full sun and a breeze at that location.

Anyone grow their squashes or vegetables without watering them? Thanks for any help or thoughts.

Comments (6)