SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andcam

AC and Attic Furnace Replacement Issues

Andrew Cameron
8 years ago

I moved a few years ago to a 5,000 s.f. house in central Ohio that was built in 1989. It has a year 2000 Rheem 4-ton AC for my 2nd story that just died. (The upstairs is probably about 3,000 s.f.) Repairing this R-22-based unit is prohibitively expensive (multiple coil leaks). So, we are getting quotes for a new AC and will probably go ahead and replace the attic furnace(s) at the same time. The furnaces are also about the year 2000, also Rheem, and are set up as twinned 70,000 BTU units.

We have gotten three quotes for replacements. None of the dealers like this twin setup, but the attic opening--limited by the 24" spread between trusses--is too small to get the recommended 110,00 (or so) BTU 2-stage, variable-speed blower furnace we would like to get. All of them agree that we can get only 80% efficiency due to condensation issues in the attic with high-efficiency furnaces. The Rheem and Lennox dealers said that twinned units can't have variable-speed blowers. But the Trane dealer quoted me for two (twinned) TUD2B080 60,000 BTU furnaces, which do have the variable speed blowers. He said it would be fine.

So, I am not sure what to think. I would really like to get variable-speed if I could but don't know if will cause all the conflicts between the two blowers that the Lennox and Rheem dealers mentioned.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and advice.

Comments (4)