SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publick_man

Garlic Season (and basil)

Lars/J. Robert Scott
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The Gilroy Garlic Festival is coming up next week-end, and I'm not sure I can make it up there this year. If I did go, I would want to spend the night, and I'm sure everything is already booked - it's not a day trip for me, as it takes four to five hours to get there. However, I did anticipate this and ordered a two-foot (5#) braid of garlic from The Garlic Shoppe garlicdude.com last week-end. I have learned that I will get better garlic if I order before the festival rather than after it. The braid arrived today, and it is beautiful! Shipping was expensive ($10), but at least they did not charge tax, like one of the other on-line sellers. I think this braid will last me a while, and I am very happy to have it. I never allow myself to run out of garlic, but I cannot always get the quality I want, and it is expensive at the farmers' markets, especially when out of season.

Anyone else stock up at this time of year? Or do you grow your own? If so, when do you harvest it? I have decided that if I ever find any sprouts in my garlic that I will plant them, but since I made that resolution, I have not found any.

I think I will make a big batch of pesto with some of the basil I need to harvest. I have a couple of plants that are getting large, but I also did some late plantings which are now very small. One plant I have is over a year old, and while it grew slowly in the winter, it never stopped producing basil. I have pine nuts in the freezer but will probably get more from TJ's.

I also use a fair amount of garlic when I make Habanero sauce, but I have to wait for my new plants to mature. I have three plants that are two to three years old, and the chilies they are currently making are getting smaller and smaller. Once the new plants start producing, they will not stop, and I hope the new ones will be as good as the old ones. However, I still have a fair amount of Habanero sauce left, since I use it in such small quantities, and I gave half of what I made away.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals