SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coreman73

Problem with cracking soil

coreman73
8 years ago

Even with the torrential rain fall we've had in Texas and the DFW area in particular, certain areas of my lawn still crack after drying out. It's gotten worse now that the rain has pretty much ended and it's gotten hotter. These areas are primarily located near small oak trees. It'd normally be easy to say the areas aren't getting enough sun but they get plenty as the trees are no more than 10-12' tall. Also, the cracked areas extend several feet beyond the areas where shade from the trees extend. I can understand bare spots will dry out very quickly in general but these areas seem excessively dry.

I thought maybe a disease was possible but these areas are pretty much in the same general area every year and obviously don't get keep enough moisture for fungus to grow.

The below photo shows such a crack. I know the potential for this to happen increases in very thin areas, which this is, but is there something I could apply to these areas while waiting for the Bermuda to fill in?

I got a soil test this year and Morpheus was kind enough to put together a schedule, which does seem to be working nicely. Mowing is regular (every 2-3 days) and I am now beginning to water 1" at a time every 5-7 days. These areas are improved over past years but still cracking like crazy.

Is shampoo an option? What else could improve this? Some way to help these areas retain water?

Comments (9)