SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Advice for mid-life career change after cross-country move?

juddgirl2
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was reading the other thread about ambition in young adults and was interested in some of the posters who mentioned finding fulfilling work after job changes, becoming self employed, working in an area different from their degree/training, etc.

I'm in a situation now where I'm considering a mid-life career change in a different field and welcome any advice or input from others who have gone through this. Eg., what type of work did you do before and what do you do now?

My background: I've worked for government for most of my adult life, and as a public agency attorney for the last 10+ years - some constitutional law, contracts, criminal law, healthcare, etc. We live on the west coast but recently bought some beautiful acreage (a mini-farm) in Tennessee - our "forever" home.

DH will retire soon and we're considering making the move within the next few years but that would mean a job change for me in a new place, since I'm several years from retirement age. Our cost of living will be lower but most important would be for me to work in a job that would either provide or cover the cost of medical benefits for our family.

I could still practice law there but if we move I would really like a change and to work in a less stressful career - I just can't figure out what that career should be! I've thought of going back to school for teaching or even something in the medical field, like an ultrasound tech or medical coder (since healthcare is a big industry in the new community).

I'm worried though that I might spend time and money with more schooling and find it difficult to find a job, given that jobs might be scarce, I'm in my mid 40's, and don't have an established network in the new state. I've also thought about various forms of self-employment but not sure what type of business I might find rewarding and moderately lucrative.

Any ideas or words of wisdom? Can you share your experience with this issue?

Comments (32)