SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyladi

Upgrading to a bigger house after the kids move out

Happyladi
14 years ago

My husband and I have lived in the same house for 25 years, we bought it new. I have wanted to move for years but my husband hasn't, he has friends in the neighborhood and is attached to the house. It's a 1,600 sq foot starter house in a neighborhood that is starting to go slightly downhill. It has seemed too small for many years.

I think he is willing to move now but I'm nervous about it,too. Our daughter is moved out and our son is away at college and isn't home all the time. The house fits us better now size wise and it's cheap to live in.

I found a 12 year old house on a creek lot that is only 2 miles away but it's 2,600 sq ft. The master is down and from what I can see on the internet it's very nice. We can afford it, in fact we will pay cash for it but of course stuff like electric and taxes will be higher.

I am just so torn, I've lived here so long but I sort of feel like it's now or never as we are in our 50's.

Am I crazy to want to move to a nicer and bigger house? Has anyone else done something like this later in life?

Comments (55)