SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Re-blooming "once bloomers"

jacqueline9CA
8 years ago

I think my roses LIKE the drought! At least, I think they liked the very mild winter, and warm Spring we had. Our summer has been mostly mild so far too - a few hot days, but also RAIN in both June and July, and mild temps.

Anyway, the reason I say that they like it is that all of my roses bloomed earlier than normal, and we had the best bloom I can remember. Now, my banksia lutea is blooming again! It has put out a few flowers out of season before, but not like this - I would say it is blooming 15-20% of its Spring flush, which is amazing, because it is July! Also, my Cl American Beauty is re-blooming, about 30% of its "once only" bloom in the Spring!

Does anyone else have once bloomers which are re-blooming in CA? Any theories on how the weather did this? I hasten to add that my roses are being watered. Our only water restrictions are time of day, and that automatic systems can only run three times a week. Ours have only run twice a week for 20 years, so we did not have to change them. Also, our water comes from local rain on local reservoirs, and they are FULL of water, so I don't feel guilty.

Jackie

Comments (7)