SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabriella_szasz

Composite deck in backyard

Gabriella Szasz
8 years ago

Hello there,

There is a fairly large area in my backyard that was all weeds when we bought our house a couple years ago. We cleaned it up an now looking for things to do with it. I know I want some seating area, etc, but first I want to figure out my options for the ground. My husband and I are pretty good when it comes to home improvement projects, but I recently had a baby and have ZERO time to do any big project. So we already have a lot of grass to cut, so we would not like to plant grass. I was thinking about other ground cover plants but I think it would take forever to grow, plus I don't like bugs and would prefer a "cleaner" (read: bug free) surface where you don't mind walking barefoot.

Of course, I'd like the project to be as low cost as possible. So I was thinking about doing a concrete tiles but that would be just too big of a project for us as we've never dealt with concrete before.

So I just came across composite decking planks. Our porch is made up of it, so I'm quite familiar with it. At first I was kind of dissapointed with it because you don't get the nice wood look, but I do like the absolutely no maintenance part of it. So I'm okay with how it looks (I assume some poeple wouldn't be) but could we just dig down a couple inches in the ground, even the surface out, put a weed preventer, and put down the planks? I read this on a forum and it just sounds too good to be true! :)

This is by far the cheapest opyion I've found and it looks pretty easy to DIY. I don't even care if I have to replace it in 6-7 years if it didn't work out, but l need to get rid of the bare ground look.

oh btw I live in the Northeast, so we get pretty heavy winters but I think these planks are ok with the cold.

Thanks!

Comments (2)