SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Is this 'The Reeve'? Is this 'The Pilgrim'?

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The old Austin bed at the rose garden has a few plants that have lost their labels. For curiosity's sake, might you happen to know what these are or what they might be?

I'm a bit enamored by the first one, although I may never grow it, since it mildews pretty badly by the end of summer, and the flowers ball in the rain. Still, it has better repeat than even the modern Austins (photos from May, but right now, this one is the only one that has a flower on it, in either the old Austin bed or the new one), and it has a terrific fragrance. In this bed is 'Windrush', 'English Garden', 'Claire Rose' , 'Pat Austin', 'Charles Austin', and the original 'William Shakespeare' so I assume it is from the same era.

There is a label nearby but not under the plant that says 'The Reeve' although is may be from a plant that is long gone.

Flowers nod. Almost looks like 'Evelyn' or 'Abraham Darby' or 'Tamora' in this photo, but the flowers never open as orange as those tend to do in this climate.

Looser form in dry weather. Outer petals fade pale blush, almost white. I first thought it might be 'St. Cecilia', but probably not. ('The Squire' to the left and behind that is 'Windrush')

After a rain, the flowers have this globular form. ('The Squire' in front and purple in the far corner is 'Prospero').

Here's another one with no label, also in the same bed. Could it be 'The Pilgrim'?

It's the plant in the front in the photo below. I think the yellow behind it is 'Charles Austin' and behind that is 'Claire Rose'.

What do you think?

Comments (14)